Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone give up tv?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gladtobefound
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: anyone give up tv? Reply with quote

Anyone give up television? I'm a single(never married) dad raisng my twelve year old son by myself.. wondering where to turn to get rid of all that sickens our society and where to meet people who also understand.
Elei
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

My kids don't watch TV either. We do get some educationa videos from the library. And we adults watch TV in the evening sometimes when they are in bed, specially the news and a few other programs because there never is much to watch.

I think that nowadays TV for kids is terrible, too much violence, too much consumption, commercials, manipulating their ideas.......

So yes, some people do understand your concerns.
Elei.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been tv free since before our children were born. It's been 8 years now.

The only time the kids are exposed to tv is at Grandma's house and Grandma does her best to follow my rules on what and how much tv they are permitted to watch while there. Grandma doesn't always understand our reasoning for no tv, but she respects our decision.

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
Decrease
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a couple of hours I will have been married for 10 years. During that time I only had a television for 1 1/2 years. Now, I am not a die harder against tv, for I believe there is some good in television. Many companies offer something like "Locks and Limits", which limits what can be watched and even what times something can be watched (in some cases).

Today, we do not have a television but we do not believe it is always wrong to have one. We miss, for instance, programs like "Signing Times" and "Between the Lions". We have some on DVD but it would be nice to have our DVR (that came with our service) back. Usually we watch a DVD on our computer Smile

Personally, we can live without TV without much of a problem. As well, with inventions like the Apple TV and other such devises, I believe how we currently use television will be a thing of the past in the not so distant future. Technology will change how we view, what we view, and through what mediums. Hopefully, such technology will change the way cable companies and satelite providers give us television so to be more specific to our wants.
Jazzy
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking TV issues as well. We have already greatly reduced how much we watch, but my husband likes it so I don't know that we'll ever get rid of TV all together. How would we watch football and basketball? Smile

Anyway, I am reading a book called The Plug In Drug that you may want to check out.

I think going without TV would be great for a 12 year old. There is so much negative on it.
Tara
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: VERY limited TV Reply with quote

We actually haven't had cable for about 10 years and my daughter is almost 6 so she has never had cable. I absolutely LOVE it!! We occasionally watch something on PBS but other than that it is just DVDs that we have have full control over. She's never gotten whiney about wanting this toy and that toy because she hasn't been subjected to the bombardment of commercials. She has our ideals and morals, not the generally smart mouthed kids on TV's "morals". People think I shelter her because I don't have cable and I am now homeschooling her, I tell them "You are darned right I am sheltering her, that's what is wrong with so many kids today is that they were exposed to way too much way too early!" Smile I completely confuse the cable company when they come by trying to add TV cable service into our plan with the cable internet service LOL We cut the cable a long time ago for financial reasons but I quickly realized that I was totally addicted and there was a whole world out there I was missing out on. Once we could turn on the cable, we both agreed that we never wanted to go back to couch potato, cable zombies again!!
Elei
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People think I shelter her because I don't have cable and I am now homeschooling her,

Oh yes, they always come up with that argument and I don't understand where they get it from.

My kids don't surf on the internet, they don't watch TV, they don't have mobile phones and only 1 Nintendo game (Dogs by the way) they're not out on the street alone, etc .....

And people say then: you have to prepare them for the life they will have to live.

First of all we don't know the life they are going to live. I was brought up without telephone, no car, no computer, no internet and only TV in the evenings, no playing on the street........ And I still can use a mobile phone, drive a car, surf on the internet, and I do have friends.

And second, too many kids are living an adult life now, when they are kids, when they are supposed to live a kids life: climbing in trees, running around, playing with whatever.

So I never really understand why they come up with that if maybe our kids will be using who knows what in the future.

Elei.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've never had a TV, but we do watch some shows online now, and we have a DVD subscription. This means we watch a lot less ads, and we can control the times when we watch things - a better way to do things with a somewhat fluid homeschool schedule.

Last edited by Theodore on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People think I shelter her because I don't have cable and I am now homeschooling her,

Oh boy, I hear that one a lot too!

I don't know why people think homeschool means we sit in the house all day every day and never leave. We go plenty of places. Play dates, field trips, homeschool classes at the museums, libraries, the park system.....Some days I would really like to just STAY HOME!

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
Emerging Dad
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been without TV for about two years now. The kiddo watches a few DVDs a week, but if he walks away from the TV I turn it off and that's the end of it. Every blue moon, whenever work gets stressful and I want to turn my brain off, we'll rent a season of a show on DVD, but as a whole I don't miss TV. My son watches some TV at his grandmother's house, and I can always tell when he has — he's hyper and squirrely for hours afterward.

Semper Reformanda!
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a good laugh.....
currently, we have a tv in every room except my daughter's room (she's 3). tivo on one and directv on all, except for one, which is strictly used for movies and vtech games.

ok, since we began homeschooling a year ago, i've slowly been changing our ways. the good thing about directv is that you can pre-program shows that are appropriate for young children (or anyone) to watch; so, i do pre-program my 5 yr old ds's tv. he's not allowed to watch just anything that's out there.

ok, i did say slowly....i just had directv turned off in our master bedroom (dh thought i was crazy...don't know why, we never watched it anyway). my ds's tv is next. we are soon to start our kindergarten year in august & we're going to teach using the charlotte mason method. tv is just completely opposite of what i'm wanting for my children.

sorry this is long, but i thought, maybe, this could help some that do watch tv. soon, very soon, next month, actually, we will be down to just one tv & it will be in our living room. need another laugh? it's a 60"!!! Laughing

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......
Glottis
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate to be one of the odd ones out, but i don't think that there are plans in the house of ever getting rid of it. true, a lot of the programs contribute to, (if i may) the 'brain shrinkage' of young kids, but there are programs that are decent and some, excellent... tv, is allowed in the house, as long as the kids follow the rules, and as long as they know when to turn it off and when to open their books..
Decrease
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubbansissy,

I would use your DVR to make sure that you are recording the good programs to watch later (or, as you call it, TIVO). This is a great way to do things. I used to be in management for DirecTv and they have done some wonderful things to make it easier to block what you don't want people to watch. One day, I hope, there will be a time when you can order programs or television stations ala-carte. I actually talked to the President of DTV about this. Right now, it is financially infeasible and would cost the consumers more money. Yet, with the internet it is right around the corner.

Before you get rid of DTV, make sure you have no commitment or else it could cost you some money. As well, remember when you disconnect one of their recievers, if it is not owned (most customers have no idea whether theirs is truly owned or not) then you have to send it back. Some may be owned others may be leased, almost all obtained in 2007 or later are leased. Make sure you send them back..

Okay, another DTV message Smile
MikeMcK
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone give up tv? Reply with quote

gladtobefound wrote:
Anyone give up television? I'm a single(never married) dad raisng my twelve year old son by myself.. wondering where to turn to get rid of all that sickens our society and where to meet people who also understand.

Yep. Gave up TV about three years ago. Best thing we could ever have done.

Our children were great before, but the change in them after we got rid of the TV was amazing.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a house with 2 TV's that were on ALL the tie and I had very little control over the content because I was living at my Father-in-law's home. He liked war movies, and westerns, and lots of violence. He is a self-employed painter in NE so, from January to May I had to listen to the Tv ALL DAY LONG Shocked Shocked

When we moved last April I told my husband that i would love to just not have the TV in the house at all, and he agreed, I love it!,
We do have the internet and a great filter,that I can customize so I don't have to worry about the boys getting into anything. Tim can download TV shows without commercials, and we get net flicks so we can request the history channel shows, discovery channel and other great movies and shows for the boys that you guys would probably record. I don't miss it at all! And I don't feel like they boys are deprived of anything either. Even if my FIL and mom think so Rolling Eyes
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: