Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unschooling/Homeschooling Teenage Boy with ADHD, Dysgraphia,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clarkmama9
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Unschooling/Homeschooling Teenage Boy with ADHD, Dysgraphia, Reply with quote

We are in ending our first year of homeschooling/unschooling. My 13 year old son who is gifted, ADHD, dysgraphic, depression is so very hard to get motivated. I have been told that he lacks internal motivators. I have tried many times to sit down with him to chat with him about what he wants to learn, what his interests are, etc. It worked great at the beginning of the year, but now he can't get focused and motivated. I have let him pretty much deschool all year. He is working towards his CompTIA A+ Certification for repairing computer hardware and software. I have given him an incentive to complete the course and take the test. He was very excited at first, but now the excitement of the reward has waned. We tried several different types of curriculum at the beginning of the year and then decided to unschool. He took himself off of his medication for depression and ADHD....and the fact that his is a teenager makes all of this impossible. I am at my whits end. Don't know what to do. I ask him for his imput, but all he says is "I don't know". I am only 13. Of course, call he wants to do is play video games...which in some way I don't mind. I know there are things he is learning, but I fear a downward spiral if there isn't a bit more structure next year. We battle daily...his room is in the basement where it is out of site out of mind. Any ideas??? Or at least someone else going through this. Btw, I also homeschool my 11 year old Aspie and 10 year old son.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: