Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BRAND NEW - know nothing, need advice :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tica Mom
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: BRAND NEW - know nothing, need advice :) Reply with quote

Hello there!
First post, first group, so forgive any ignorance please!!

My adopted-at-birth son will be 6 this year. Pregnancy history - gestational diabetes, daily marihuana use and "occasional" alcohol use up to the 7th month, at which point she moved into my house and began regular prenatal care, although continued with marihuana use.
A multitude of physical tests, genetic testing included, initiated by his paediatrician at around 1 year due to his small stature and excessively small head showed no abnormalities.
Further testing at the age of 2 was initiated due to delayed speech and behavioural issues. The consensus appeared to be ADHD with a strong possibility of being on the FAS spectrum. No official diagnosis was given, due to his young age.
2 years ago we moved to Central America where he has been enrolled in a bilingual Montessori private school, and will be finishing his second year there next month. My guy is extremely active and is a distraction to other children (or so I've been repeatedly told!). We have tried a plethora of activities, ranging from yoga to surfing, but other than swimming we have been politely asked to try again later when he's more focused.
Although the school is wonderful, it appears we have reached a point where he is no longer making much progress and they seem to know it, as well. There is a meeting scheduled in 2 days with the school, at their request.
FINALLY, I get to my question Smile I am considering homeschooling as an option. Advice, suggestions, tips, hints, etc??? TIA Smile
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it! Smile

I've read of many people in similar situations who have homeschooled and felt very successful.

Welcome to the forum.
sandykc
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: BRAND NEW - know nothing, need advice :) Reply with quote

Tica Mom wrote:
Hello there!
First post, first group, so forgive any ignorance please!!

FINALLY, I get to my question Smile I am considering homeschooling as an option. Advice, suggestions, tips, hints, etc??? TIA Smile

Homeschooling is an AWESOME way to go!! We pulled our guys out of public school after five years because no progress was being made. Homeschooling was the BEST decision we made on behalf of our guys.

With an active guy, I'd recommend staying away from too much book-based curricula and tend towards hands-on activities. Math U See and Cuisenaire Rods were some of my boys' favorites for hands on math, and Touch Math is a good choice. Reflex Math is great for building math fact fluency.

For reading, there are a lot of interactive programs listed at http://learningabledkids.com/reading/online-interactive-reading-games-and-programs.htm.

My guys benefited most from IEW's writing programs, but that came after Handwriting Without Tears for us.

You could do project-based science activities and social studies re-enactments, watch videos/DVDs, etc.

I'd probably keep it at about that level until you've adjusted to homeschooling. Working on the basics of reading, writing, and math are the main areas to work on, so as long as you cover those areas for now you should be good.

Hope that helps! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: