BRAND NEW - know nothing, need advice :)

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Tica Mom
User

BRAND NEW - know nothing, need advice :)

Postby Tica Mom » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:56 pm

Hello there!
First post, first group, so forgive any ignorance please!!

My adopted-at-birth son will be 6 this year. Pregnancy history - gestational diabetes, daily marihuana use and "occasional" alcohol use up to the 7th month, at which point she moved into my house and began regular prenatal care, although continued with marihuana use.
A multitude of physical tests, genetic testing included, initiated by his paediatrician at around 1 year due to his small stature and excessively small head showed no abnormalities.
Further testing at the age of 2 was initiated due to delayed speech and behavioural issues. The consensus appeared to be ADHD with a strong possibility of being on the FAS spectrum. No official diagnosis was given, due to his young age.
2 years ago we moved to Central America where he has been enrolled in a bilingual Montessori private school, and will be finishing his second year there next month. My guy is extremely active and is a distraction to other children (or so I've been repeatedly told!). We have tried a plethora of activities, ranging from yoga to surfing, but other than swimming we have been politely asked to try again later when he's more focused.
Although the school is wonderful, it appears we have reached a point where he is no longer making much progress and they seem to know it, as well. There is a meeting scheduled in 2 days with the school, at their request.
FINALLY, I get to my question :) I am considering homeschooling as an option. Advice, suggestions, tips, hints, etc??? TIA :)

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:07 pm

sandykc
User

Re: BRAND NEW - know nothing, need advice :)

Postby sandykc » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:31 pm

SandyKC
Homeschool Mom, Author, Instructional Designer, trained Special Education Advocate

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”