Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschooling... what mistakes did you make?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amandaslone85
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling... what mistakes did you make? Reply with quote

Just checking to see what issues came up when you got started in the homeschooling arena! Just looking for advice, I have a 4 year old daughter who is starting pre-k and i am considering homeschooling as opposed to a private catholic school. Thanks
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about mistakes. It took me years to learn how to teach math, art and handwriting, but the kids are fine 20 years later. It took even more years to decide which approach we lean towards, but it was an educational process for all of us, so it's okay.
fifacoin19
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: pear about the same quantity examples Reply with quote

Appraisal quality pear about the same quantity examples.
LLMom
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: mistakes Reply with quote

I homeschooled 19 years and made plenty of mistakes. I think the two biggest ones are my children did not have enough social opportunities especially as teenagers, and that I didn't have one son tested for learning disabilities because I was afraid of the school district. I did get him some help through a special needs program for homeschoolers, but I don't think it was enough. The mistake that affected me the most was I didn't take care of myself, and I experienced burnout several times. Most of the time, I was able to recover from it, but a few years ago I did not because it had turned to depression. Moms, take care of yourselves. This is a hard job.
MagnoliaHoney
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really feel like I have made many mistakes.

I feel like we have always done our best in the situation and time. I have learned and honed things along way, making things better and better, but I feel we do this with all aspects of life. I don't make the same meatloaf that I did 10 years ago! I've honed that recipe, and fine tuned it into perfection for us. And 10 years from now it will probably be even different then today, as I continue to try new seasonings, spices, vegetables, etc etc as they come and go in popularity. So pretty much the same with our homeschooling, new materials, books, new thoughts (which ironically for me has become going further and further back in years to the older stuff-like I'm loving Mc Guffey's and Ray's Arithmetic right now written in the 1800's! lol) come into popularity and therefor more apt for me to see and learn from. And I'm sure in a few more years things will progress more for me, some more, and a few years after that even more and so on. I believe as my grandmother used to say all the time, we learn something new every day! So in that vein, I really don't think of things that we have done as mistakes. But, yes of course things have evolved, and I believe are being honed each year just a bit better.

But, quite honestly, unless you are completely tuned out and ignore your child, I don't see how you could mess up PreK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: