Homeschooling... what mistakes did you make?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Amandaslone85
User

Homeschooling... what mistakes did you make?

Postby Amandaslone85 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:15 pm

Just checking to see what issues came up when you got started in the homeschooling arena! Just looking for advice, I have a 4 year old daughter who is starting pre-k and i am considering homeschooling as opposed to a private catholic school. Thanks

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:10 pm

I don't know about mistakes. It took me years to learn how to teach math, art and handwriting, but the kids are fine 20 years later. It took even more years to decide which approach we lean towards, but it was an educational process for all of us, so it's okay.

fifacoin19
User

pear about the same quantity examples

Postby fifacoin19 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:30 pm

Appraisal quality pear about the same quantity examples.

LLMom
User

mistakes

Postby LLMom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:17 am

I homeschooled 19 years and made plenty of mistakes. I think the two biggest ones are my children did not have enough social opportunities especially as teenagers, and that I didn't have one son tested for learning disabilities because I was afraid of the school district. I did get him some help through a special needs program for homeschoolers, but I don't think it was enough. The mistake that affected me the most was I didn't take care of myself, and I experienced burnout several times. Most of the time, I was able to recover from it, but a few years ago I did not because it had turned to depression. Moms, take care of yourselves. This is a hard job.
Rest for the weary homeschool mom For burnt out homeschool moms, moms considering school, and former homeschool moms.

MagnoliaHoney
User

Postby MagnoliaHoney » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:31 am

I don't really feel like I have made many mistakes.

I feel like we have always done our best in the situation and time. I have learned and honed things along way, making things better and better, but I feel we do this with all aspects of life. I don't make the same meatloaf that I did 10 years ago! I've honed that recipe, and fine tuned it into perfection for us. And 10 years from now it will probably be even different then today, as I continue to try new seasonings, spices, vegetables, etc etc as they come and go in popularity. So pretty much the same with our homeschooling, new materials, books, new thoughts (which ironically for me has become going further and further back in years to the older stuff-like I'm loving Mc Guffey's and Ray's Arithmetic right now written in the 1800's! lol) come into popularity and therefor more apt for me to see and learn from. And I'm sure in a few more years things will progress more for me, some more, and a few years after that even more and so on. I believe as my grandmother used to say all the time, we learn something new every day! So in that vein, I really don't think of things that we have done as mistakes. But, yes of course things have evolved, and I believe are being honed each year just a bit better.

But, quite honestly, unless you are completely tuned out and ignore your child, I don't see how you could mess up PreK.
Heather

abarua46
User

Postby abarua46 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:03 am

the good thing about homeschooling is that your kid play and study at the same tim, and beside more benefit is, they are so far away from bullying, so they become more creative, concentrate and really fast learning

rednanasteph
User

Re: Homeschooling... what mistakes did you make?

Postby rednanasteph » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:45 pm

Amandaslone85 wrote:Just checking to see what issues came up when you got started in the homeschooling arena! Just looking for advice, I have a 4 year old daughter who is starting pre-k and i am considering homeschooling as opposed to a private catholic school. Thanks

The biggest mistake I made was following every fad in home schooling that came along telling me if you do A B and C your kids will not fall by the wayside. It took me a while to figure out no one knows what is best for my family. So listen to God speak to your heart and tune out anyone who has a formula that will keep your children from being rebellious. Love, Love, Love. Always lots of love and mercy and forgiveness in all things. It is more important to keep their hearts than to be sure they can do trig. Balance!!!!! Also, take time for yourself once in a while and have a creative outlet not tied to home schooling. I am 59 years old and started home schooling when my oldest was in 4th grade. I have seen every manner of schooling and discipline under the sun. I have tried most. Enjoy life. Limit stress from outside. Notice I didn't say limit being outside, just don't get stressed. I could go on for ever, but it probably would bore you. I some strong opinions in my old life. Would prefer discussing them by email if anyone would like to ask specifics as I don't want to offend anyone.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”