Unschooling/Homeschooling Teenage Boy with ADHD, Dysgraphia,

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Unschooling/Homeschooling Teenage Boy with ADHD, Dysgraphia,

Postby clarkmama9 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:52 am

We are in ending our first year of homeschooling/unschooling. My 13 year old son who is gifted, ADHD, dysgraphic, depression is so very hard to get motivated. I have been told that he lacks internal motivators. I have tried many times to sit down with him to chat with him about what he wants to learn, what his interests are, etc. It worked great at the beginning of the year, but now he can't get focused and motivated. I have let him pretty much deschool all year. He is working towards his CompTIA A+ Certification for repairing computer hardware and software. I have given him an incentive to complete the course and take the test. He was very excited at first, but now the excitement of the reward has waned. We tried several different types of curriculum at the beginning of the year and then decided to unschool. He took himself off of his medication for depression and ADHD....and the fact that his is a teenager makes all of this impossible. I am at my whits end. Don't know what to do. I ask him for his imput, but all he says is "I don't know". I am only 13. Of course, call he wants to do is play video games...which in some way I don't mind. I know there are things he is learning, but I fear a downward spiral if there isn't a bit more structure next year. We battle daily...his room is in the basement where it is out of site out of mind. Any ideas??? Or at least someone else going through this. Btw, I also homeschool my 11 year old Aspie and 10 year old son.
Sheryl Clark

Re: Unschooling/Homeschooling Teenage Boy with ADHD, Dysgrap

Postby teachinmom » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:25 am

He took himself off of his medication for depression and ADHD...

I think this may be key here. If he did better on the meds, then put him on the meds. You give them to him. You keep them locked up.

Give him small, short term goals. Have him tell you if his interests change or he gets bored with what he is doing. Some of us get bored easily and have trouble with follow-through.

A relaxed atmosphere is good.....but it must have a bit of structure.....a "flow" so to speak.....posting a schedule of "order of events" as opposed to times might help. Having him post progress in a visual way such as marking out steps completed may help. Otherwise, he will feel he is treading water and not realize he is moving toward the shore as well.

hang in there.

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”