Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School refusing to accept withdrawal

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missi93444
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: School refusing to accept withdrawal Reply with quote

I sent in a letter of withdrawal to the public school on Monday, which was confirmed as received and then filed the private affidavit Tuesday with a copy to the school, and on Wednesday a truant officer called me.

I called back and left a message stating I'd be happy to resend the affidavit since it appears he didn't see it. No response.

Friday I get a letter stating I was called to a SARB meeting 2/6 which I am not allowed to reschedule for any reason. I called the truant officer AGAIN and left a message as I feel it is a mistake since I have withdrawn my daughter from public school and enrolled her in a private school. No response.

Has anyone else actually gone to a SARB meeting? What are they trying to do? The note says it is to make a plan for my truant child. I already have a plan, which is what we are currently doing (homeschool, which BTW, we are absolutely loving, I wish we had done this long ago).

I checked her online school records and she is still showing enrolled with new absences showing all week. Why are they choosing to ignore the withdrawal? It makes no sense to me.

EDITED TO ADD: We are in CALIFORNIA and my student is in 12th grade.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: School refusing to accept withdrawal Reply with quote

missi93444 wrote:
I sent in a letter of withdrawal to the public school on Monday, which was confirmed as received and then filed the private affidavit Tuesday with a copy to the school, and on Wednesday a truant officer called me.

I called back and left a message stating I'd be happy to resend the affidavit since it appears he didn't see it. No response.

Friday I get a letter stating I was called to a SARB meeting 2/6 which I am not allowed to reschedule for any reason. I called the truant officer AGAIN and left a message as I feel it is a mistake since I have withdrawn my daughter from public school and enrolled her in a private school. No response.

Has anyone else actually gone to a SARB meeting? What are they trying to do? The note says it is to make a plan for my truant child. I already have a plan, which is what we are currently doing (homeschool, which BTW, we are absolutely loving, I wish we had done this long ago).

I checked her online school records and she is still showing enrolled with new absences showing all week. Why are they choosing to ignore the withdrawal? It makes no sense to me.

What a nightmare!!!

If you had asked me first, I would have advised you to join HSLDA before filing your affidavit, because then you would call them and that would be the end of that.

The rule of thumb for a SARB is that you don't show up without an attorney. They will have all the suits in the world at this meeting, which is really stupid because YOUR CHILD IS A SENIOR!!!

You might try contacting HSLDA and see if they will do anything. You could also contact Homeschool Associates of California and see if someone there can help. Also, contact Family Protection Ministries; they aren't attorneys, but they might have some advice for you.

If you end up having to go alone, take your affidavit with you and the proof that you did inform the school that you were withdrawing her.

And please stay in touch here. I want to know how things go with you, k?
Caretaker of 2 budgies
missi93444
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: School refusing to accept withdrawal Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:
missi93444 wrote:

What a nightmare!!!

If you had asked me first, I would have advised you to join HSLDA before filing your affidavit, because then you would call them and that would be the end of that.

The rule of thumb for a SARB is that you don't show up without an attorney. They will have all the suits in the world at this meeting, which is really stupid because YOUR CHILD IS A SENIOR!!!

You might try contacting HSLDA and see if they will do anything. You could also contact Homeschool Associates of California and see if someone there can help. Also, contact Family Protection Ministries; they aren't attorneys, but they might have some advice for you.

If you end up having to go alone, take your affidavit with you and the proof that you did inform the school that you were withdrawing her.

And please stay in touch here. I want to know how things go with you, k?

Hello!

Well much better now. I contacted the California Homeschool Network and they answered me this weekend! What a wonderful group. They wrote a very nice letter to the local SARB representative and got the whole thing dismissed. SARB was not recognizing my private school as they had apparently not seen the affidavit. Within 10 minutes of receiving the letter and link to my PSA the SARB rep called and took us off of the SARB meeting schedule.

I am very relieved and can't thank California Homeschool Network enough for taking the time to help me out.

My daughter is enjoying homeschool SO MUCH. I wish we had done this a few years ago!

Thanks,
Missi
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!!!!

And now you can enjoy your little private school. Well done!
Caretaker of 2 budgies
CathleenWitmer
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is het zinvol om 1x per week kracht te trainen? Reply with quote

I am also in RI and will be homeschooling my two kids who will be in Kindergarten and 2nd Grade this year.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: