Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused about when I have to file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angelap2013
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Confused about when I have to file Reply with quote

So, I have 2 daughters - one is 5 and one is 4.

My 5 year old will turn 6 in February (2014). I know the law is that I have to file in October the year she is going to start school.

What I don't understand is if she is legally required to start this year (2013-2014 school year) because she will turn 6 DURING that period,

OR

if she is legally required to start school in September of 2014, because she turned 6 THAT year?

In other words, is this the October I file the the PSA or next?

BTW, she is already being homeschooled, just want to know the exact law. Because, it does state between age 6-18. And if it is next year that I file, won't she BE 6 for several months during a school year before the next one starts? So, doesn't that break their law?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused about when I have to file Reply with quote

I assume you're in California. Smile

Kindergarten is not mandatory in California. Your daughter was 5 when the school year started, so that's what counts, not that she will have her 6th birthday during the year.

Your daughter will not be compulsory school age until the school year that begins in August/September 2014. Yes, she will be 6 for several months. If she were going to the local public school, she wouldn't start in February; she'd start the next fall, right? Not when she turned 6? Well, there you go.

So you will file your Private School Affidavit between October 1 and 15, 2014.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
angelap2013
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay thank you! It was so confusing to me because it seems like so many kids start kinnie now at 5, instead of 6 (perhaps to save their parents preschool/daycare costs? Cool

Well, that's settled then. Thanks so much!!
angelap2013
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooohh so the compulsory age is assuming they are starting 1ST grade then? Oh, that makes sense. So, kindergarten age is 5 then. It's all adding up now. Laughing It must have been different when I was little, because I always thought it used to be 6 for kinnie...

Hmm.

Well, anyway, question answered - thanks again!!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angelap2013 wrote:
Ooohh so the compulsory age is assuming they are starting 1ST grade then? Oh, that makes sense. So, kindergarten age is 5 then. It's all adding up now. Laughing It must have been different when I was little, because I always thought it used to be 6 for kinnie...

Hmm.

Well, anyway, question answered - thanks again!!

It doesn't assume a grade level. It only assumes an age.

However, kindergarten is generally for 5yo children, first grade is 6, and so on (not accounting for birthdays that happen during the school year). If *I* were in a school office, I would expect most children entering first grade to be 6. It has been that way as long as I can remember, and I'm probably quite a bit older than you. Very Happy
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: