Hello, Crystal Ball question

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Hello, Crystal Ball question

Postby inovation » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:27 am

Hello All

I am a semi recent new parent and already can't help but look towards the future.

I am so torn on the home school vs public/private school choice.

Without getting into a pro's/cons debate over what is best I would like to get some feedback from people who have a better understanding on what the future of home schooling will be in 4-5 years.

Personally I have a vision in my head that a great online program would be available that would work along with the traditional homeschooling methods.

So I guess any information on current online programs and any future projects in the works.

I would also like to hear flat out opinions,speculations,theories on what the future holds in regards to online home classroom advancements from the home school community

Thanks for any info

Postby SuperGiaJ » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:58 pm

I agree that public school education will make a slow transition to being available online, especially with the Common Core (if it can hold ground). Just look at many universities and their online offerings/classes/lessons. More are considering online degrees, though it will take time for them to be fully accepted by businesses.

There's certainly no reason why a public school education couldn't be done online. Resistance to change will be its biggest hindrance though.
Gia Johansen - IT & Education MatchMaker :-)
Super-Reader.com Reading Comprehension Worksheets

Postby Theodore » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Common Core is proving to be a government propaganda tool, though. In theory it was a good idea, in practice I would try to stay as far away from it as possible. Regarding online schooling, the tech is all here for group video chat and sharing materials in real time. I think that is the future, supplemented of course with traditional forum discussion and online assignment submission. There are just some things that are best discussed with a teacher in real time, whether that's a tutor or co-op member or whomever.

Return to “Getting Started”