Need to know how to take my child out of public school

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kathy66
User

Need to know how to take my child out of public school

Postby kathy66 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:55 pm

I am wanting to start homeschooling my daughter but since it is in the middle of the year, Is there a certain way I have to go about taking her out of school?? we live in the lake Ozark mo area.... Thank you...

elliemaejune
User

Re: Need to know how to take my child out of public school

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:19 pm

kathy66 wrote:I am wanting to start homeschooling my daughter but since it is in the middle of the year, Is there a certain way I have to go about taking her out of school?? we live in the lake Ozark mo area.... Thank you...

Missouri does not require any sort of registration or other notification or permission to homeschool. However, because your daughter is currently enrolled in school, you would be wise to formally withdraw her from her school, preferably in writing, preferably by sending the letter via certified mail with a signed receipt required. You do that just so that you have proof that you did inform the school. :-)

My strong recommendation, though, is to join Home School Legal Defense Association (http://www.HSLDA.org) first, and follow their advice. You will want to choose instructional materials (what you'll use to teach her at home) and have some sort of plan.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

kathy66
User

Postby kathy66 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:59 am

Thank you very much for the information.

Return to “Getting Started”