Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting to Homeschool in January 2015. HELP with PSA!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anissabouk
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Starting to Homeschool in January 2015. HELP with PSA! Reply with quote

Hello,

We live in Northern California and have become incredibly frustrated with our school options for our two children, so we decided to take the plunge, and begin homeschooling after the holidays (starting January 2015).

Since we are both educators, and have a very clear vision of what and how we want our children to learn, we decided to go the PSA route instead of a Charter "umbrella" school.

However, I'm very confused about when to file the PSA!

It says it needs to be filed between October 1st and October 15th.

Can I go ahead and file it now, even though we aren't starting until January and will not withdraw our children from their current school until December?

We don't want to wait until October 2015 to do so, we'd rather have all our paperwork "in order" before we start in January.

I apologize if this has been posted before, I looked in the threads and was not able to find anything.

HELP! Shocked

Thank you so much!

A.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to Homeschool in January 2015. HELP with PSA! Reply with quote

anissabouk wrote:
Hello,

We live in Northern California and have become incredibly frustrated with our school options for our two children, so we decided to take the plunge, and begin homeschooling after the holidays (starting January 2015).

Since we are both educators, and have a very clear vision of what and how we want our children to learn, we decided to go the PSA route instead of a Charter "umbrella" school.

However, I'm very confused about when to file the PSA!

It says it needs to be filed between October 1st and October 15th.

Can I go ahead and file it now, even though we aren't starting until January and will not withdraw our children from their current school until December?

We don't want to wait until October 2015 to do so, we'd rather have all our paperwork "in order" before we start in January.

I apologize if this has been posted before, I looked in the threads and was not able to find anything.

HELP! Shocked

Thank you so much!

A.

Kudos to you for deciding to homeschool your children rather than enrolling them in a public-school-at-home program.::thumbs up:: Charter schools are not umbrella schools of any kind (for the sake of those outside California who might be reading this). They are public schools.

It is not recommended that you file an affidavit until you are ready to withdraw your children from their current school; in other words, no, you wouldn't file your affidavit in October if you're not withdrawing them until December. Opinions are mixed as to whether to file an affidavit midyear or to wait until the following October.

I filed my first affidavit in April of 1982. Smile

I do *strongly* recommend HSLDA membership. My best advice would be to join HSLDA in November, and follow their recommendations as to whether to file an affidavit or not.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: