Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New and nervous!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShellyM72
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: New and nervous! Reply with quote

Hello all! I am not brand new to homeschooling, we actually started at the end of August through Texas Connections. I really like the school, and all of the teachers have been very nice. However, it is just not for our son at all. It is a very, VERY fast paced school... and it is very hard to keep up with. Even for me, coming from the world of finance and attention to detail, there is so much. My son comes from public schools where he was bullied horribly and his confidence levels are very low. The pace is simply too much for him and we ended up being more stressed out than before. I am now adopting a curriculum more tailored to his individual needs and pace, and I'm nervous. How do we know that we are teaching them the right things? I am terrified that he will simply not be learning something that is essential.
Thank you!!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New and nervous! Reply with quote

ShellyM72 wrote:
Hello all! I am not brand new to homeschooling, we actually started at the end of August through Texas Connections. I really like the school, and all of the teachers have been very nice. However, it is just not for our son at all. It is a very, VERY fast paced school... and it is very hard to keep up with. Even for me, coming from the world of finance and attention to detail, there is so much. My son comes from public schools where he was bullied horribly and his confidence levels are very low. The pace is simply too much for him and we ended up being more stressed out than before. I am now adopting a curriculum more tailored to his individual needs and pace, and I'm nervous. How do we know that we are teaching them the right things? I am terrified that he will simply not be learning something that is essential.
Thank you!!

So, are you withdrawing him from the charter school? That's the only way you can truly be in charge of the curriculum and the pace.

Texas is one of the best states for homeschooling: because of a 1994 court decision, homeschoolers are completely unregulated by the state because they are the equivalent of private schools. However, since you enrolled your son in the charter school, you have to do what the school says you have to do, because legally, your son is a public school student, not a private school student. Smile

Are you an adult person? Have you lived and worked in the adult world? then you know what your son needs to learn.

How old is your son?
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: