Opinions please

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

LMuise2013
User

Opinions please

Postby LMuise2013 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:47 am

We are starting homeschooling my oldest starting the 2014-2015 school year. She will be in 1st grade. We are wanting a faith based curriculum or a curriculum that includes bible study. I was looking into A Beka and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this curriculum. We are trying to not spend too much on curriculum since there are other things we need to get to set up our classroom (turning an office area into our school room/my craft room). Any opinions on A Beka or other options would be great. TIA!
Loving wife and mom to 3 (Ash, Willie, & Trish)!

elliemaejune
User

Re: Opinions please

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:28 am

Many baby homeschoolers start out with ABeka because so many Christian schools use it. :-) ABeka is good; it's just that everything was written with a classroom of 10-30 children in mind, all approximately the same age, all having to learn the same thing at the same time in the same way...pretty much the opposite of what homeschooling is. :)

For myself, I prefer to do most things that are *not* like school. KONOS Character Curriculum and the Weaver are both Christian unit studies; they cover all subjects except for English skills (phonics, reading/literature, grammar, writing, penmanship) and math. KONOS studies everything while learning about godly character traits such as Obedience, Trustworthiness, and Orderliness; the Weaver studies everything while reading chronologically through the Old Testament.

Actually, the most important things you'll do with a 6yo are to teach her to read and write and arithmetic. You don't need anything for Bible except...the Bible. History and science are so much fun with littles, and so easy to do.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

LMuise2013
User

Re: Opinions please

Postby LMuise2013 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:20 am

elliemaejune wrote:Actually, the most important things you'll do with a 6yo are to teach her to read and write and arithmetic. You don't need anything for Bible except...the Bible. History and science are so much fun with littles, and so easy to do.

The english is what I am most worried about with where to start her for next year. Most box curriculum that I have found has 1st grade doing things that she is currently doing in Kindergarden at the public school. She already reads, they work on writing (I work with her too because she struggles and would be behind if I didnt work with her almost daily), and they are already learning addition/subtraction. I dont remember learning all this till 1st grade when I went to school and I dont want her to be bored and we have to buy new curriculum half way though the year. I am going to check out the ones you suggested.
Loving wife and mom to 3 (Ash, Willie, & Trish)!

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”