Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LMuise2013
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Opinions please Reply with quote

We are starting homeschooling my oldest starting the 2014-2015 school year. She will be in 1st grade. We are wanting a faith based curriculum or a curriculum that includes bible study. I was looking into A Beka and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this curriculum. We are trying to not spend too much on curriculum since there are other things we need to get to set up our classroom (turning an office area into our school room/my craft room). Any opinions on A Beka or other options would be great. TIA!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions please Reply with quote

Many baby homeschoolers start out with ABeka because so many Christian schools use it. Smile ABeka is good; it's just that everything was written with a classroom of 10-30 children in mind, all approximately the same age, all having to learn the same thing at the same time in the same way...pretty much the opposite of what homeschooling is. Smile

For myself, I prefer to do most things that are *not* like school. KONOS Character Curriculum and the Weaver are both Christian unit studies; they cover all subjects except for English skills (phonics, reading/literature, grammar, writing, penmanship) and math. KONOS studies everything while learning about godly character traits such as Obedience, Trustworthiness, and Orderliness; the Weaver studies everything while reading chronologically through the Old Testament.

Actually, the most important things you'll do with a 6yo are to teach her to read and write and arithmetic. You don't need anything for Bible except...the Bible. History and science are so much fun with littles, and so easy to do.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
LMuise2013
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions please Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:

Actually, the most important things you'll do with a 6yo are to teach her to read and write and arithmetic. You don't need anything for Bible except...the Bible. History and science are so much fun with littles, and so easy to do.

The english is what I am most worried about with where to start her for next year. Most box curriculum that I have found has 1st grade doing things that she is currently doing in Kindergarden at the public school. She already reads, they work on writing (I work with her too because she struggles and would be behind if I didnt work with her almost daily), and they are already learning addition/subtraction. I dont remember learning all this till 1st grade when I went to school and I dont want her to be bored and we have to buy new curriculum half way though the year. I am going to check out the ones you suggested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: