Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Return to ABeka Math at Which Grade Level/Or Not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnmommy
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Return to ABeka Math at Which Grade Level/Or Not? Reply with quote

We were doing well with ABeka Math and completed 3rd grade. I did a (maybe) dumb thing and listened to others rather than stick with what was working for my son. We switched to Saxon and went to 5/4. He is about done with that and has done well according to their tests. Seems to have made the transition fine. Before I ordered 6/5, I asked him today about ABeka and he misses it. He is like me, a bit more visual and does well with repetition and handy charts. Seems ABeka had lots of repeat and had color and interest. With moving and illness, I've already kept him back a year - public school would have him going into 7th grade but he's entering 6th at home.

Should I keep going Saxon - I know moves in Math are rough. He does do well grasping each new lesson and misses no more than 3 on HW and tests, usually.

Does ABeka become more difficult to teach in later grades? (Maybe that's why others steered me away - can only remember them saying Saxon explains story problems better).

If you recommend returning to ABeka, should I return to 4th grade - Table of Contents looks to be where Saxon 5/4 is ending up. I don't want to rush or skip thus creating "holes" for him. He likes steady but sure progression, not jumping.

Help?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: