Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is homeschooling possible when you are terrible at math?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wife&mommy
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Is homeschooling possible when you are terrible at math? Reply with quote

Hi,
My children are enrolled in public school right now, K and 3rd grade. It is a good school. I was homeschooled 5-12; my husband was public school K-12. I have a strong desire to homeschool my children; it is constantly on my mind and heavy on my heart. I thought I would let my children get a few years in public school because I thought they needed to get a feel of the classroom and see how school is not an option and that you must do your work. This may sound selfish but another reason holding me back is my own fear. I am so terrified of homeschooling them. I mostly did ACE PACE curriculum and I do not feel like it was a very effective curriculum. I did not have the best homeschooling experience. We were not involved in any co-ops, etc. and my mother (who is a great mother) did not enjoy homeschooling us. I am terrible at math; I cringe at the thought of it and no, it is not just algebra and the upper grade level math-math period. How in the world can I teach my children this very important subject that I feel like I am terrible at? Is it even possible? I do not want them having this same hate towards math. Is the answer that I cannot? Do I need to ignore this constant pull on my heart to homeschool them? Will I hinder their learning/ abilities with my lack of knowledge on this subject (and other subjects)? If I decide to homeschool next year, my youngest will be entering First grade, where I believe reading is most vital. How difficult is it to teach your child to read? I am so terrified of taking this step but at the same time, I am excited and eager to start, if that makes sense. Am I incapable of homeschooling my children? I am deeply concerned and stressed about this. I have so many other questions and concerns but for now I just need to know is there a possibility I would be capable of teaching them? Please do not be afraid of hurting my feelings, I just need the truth. Thank you
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is homeschooling possible when you are terrible at math? Reply with quote

wife&mommy wrote:
Hi,
My children are enrolled in public school right now, K and 3rd grade. It is a good school. I was homeschooled 5-12; my husband was public school K-12. I have a strong desire to homeschool my children; it is constantly on my mind and heavy on my heart. I thought I would let my children get a few years in public school because I thought they needed to get a feel of the classroom and see how school is not an option and that you must do your work. This may sound selfish but another reason holding me back is my own fear. I am so terrified of homeschooling them. I mostly did ACE PACE curriculum and I do not feel like it was a very effective curriculum. I did not have the best homeschooling experience. We were not involved in any co-ops, etc. and my mother (who is a great mother) did not enjoy homeschooling us. I am terrible at math; I cringe at the thought of it and no, it is not just algebra and the upper grade level math-math period. How in the world can I teach my children this very important subject that I feel like I am terrible at? Is it even possible? I do not want them having this same hate towards math. Is the answer that I cannot? Do I need to ignore this constant pull on my heart to homeschool them? Will I hinder their learning/ abilities with my lack of knowledge on this subject (and other subjects)? If I decide to homeschool next year, my youngest will be entering First grade, where I believe reading is most vital. How difficult is it to teach your child to read? I am so terrified of taking this step but at the same time, I am excited and eager to start, if that makes sense. Am I incapable of homeschooling my children? I am deeply concerned and stressed about this. I have so many other questions and concerns but for now I just need to know is there a possibility I would be capable of teaching them? Please do not be afraid of hurting my feelings, I just need the truth. Thank you

Of course it's possible. Smile

Your children are still very young. You can learn along with them and they'll never know. Smile Or you can use something like Teaching Textbooks, which is DVD-based.

And there are many choices for teaching children to read. I'm sure you can do that, too. Explode the Code, Alpha Phonics, and Phonics Pathways are all very good and easy to use.

You can do it. Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: