Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to homeschooling/Seeking advice for "that perfect f

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluemidnightrain
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: New to homeschooling/Seeking advice for "that perfect f Reply with quote

Hi there! My son is in 5th grade and since my husband retired from the military, our son has been having a lot of trouble and we've all decided that we would like to try homeschooling. We are committed. I'm been doing a LOT of research, but I was hoping someone might be able to help me fast-track things.

What I'm looking for:

-A school where the teachers/staff truly cares about it's students and WILL help you and be kind to you.

-A school that children from Massachusetts can apply to.

- A school that (hopefully) isn't too costly or at least does payment plans.

- A school that does the normal subjects, BUT also offers students electives that COUNT as credits (example: Languages).

- A school that will count "outings" or "hands-on" learning such as a trip to an art, science or History museum as part of the homeschooling experience.

-A school that has more positive reviews than negative.

-A school that offers clubs/meetups for a wide range of interests.

and lastly,

-A school that let's you go at your own (reasonable) pace. Which means that if you are struggling, they will extend time to you and if you know the material, they will let you continue on, possibly even jumping to the next grade if needed.

Please tell me there is a homeschooling option that applies all of these things???

I really could use help finding a good homeschooling program. Our son is really having a hard time and my heart is just breaking watching him struggle, cry and feeling so lost so very often. I appreciate any help!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: New to homeschooling/Seeking advice for "that perfe Reply with quote

bluemidnightrain wrote:
Hi there! My son is in 5th grade and since my husband retired from the military, our son has been having a lot of trouble and we've all decided that we would like to try homeschooling. We are committed. I'm been doing a LOT of research, but I was hoping someone might be able to help me fast-track things.

What I'm looking for:

-A school where the teachers/staff truly cares about its students and WILL help you and be kind to you.

-A school that children from Massachusetts can apply to.

- A school that (hopefully) isn't too costly or at least does payment plans.

- A school that does the normal subjects, BUT also offers students electives that COUNT as credits (example: Languages).

- A school that will count "outings" or "hands-on" learning such as a trip to an art, science or History museum as part of the homeschooling experience.

-A school that has more positive reviews than negative.

-A school that offers clubs/meetups for a wide range of interests.

and lastly,

-A school that let's you go at your own (reasonable) pace. Which means that if you are struggling, they will extend time to you and if you know the material, they will let you continue on, possibly even jumping to the next grade if needed.

Please tell me there is a homeschooling option that applies all of these things???

I really could use help finding a good homeschooling program. Our son is really having a hard time and my heart is just breaking watching him struggle, cry and feeling so lost so very often. I appreciate any help!

I'm slightly confused.

You're wanting to teach your son at home, but you're asking about a "school" that will "let" you go at your own pace, and has teachers and whatnot.

Confused

If you want to teach your son at home, there will be no outside "school" involved. You will choose instructional materials and methods and teach your son yourself. You don't need an outside entity to give your son credit or anything.

Here is the link for Home School Legal Defense Associations' legal analysis of MA law: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Massachusetts.pdf

And here is the link for MassHOPE, a statewide homeschool association. http://www.masshope.org/ You should be able to talk to someone who can give you advice. Smile[/url]
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: