Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online Virtual Home School

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonesgang247
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Online Virtual Home School Reply with quote

I live in Alabama and I would like to home school my child. Does anyone know of any good online schools, that have good virtual lessons?
sandykc
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: There are a LOT of virtual options.. Reply with quote

I don't know if Alabama has any free virtual charter school options, but if they do and you choose one of them, it will be more like schooling at home than homeschooling.. A subtle, but important difference being that you will not be in control of your child's education if you use a charter option.

Given homeschooling, I prefer the "at your own pace" programs because they let your child start courses whenever, work at his own pace, and then finish up early (or late) depending upon your individual child. There are several "at your own pace" options on this page. You can scan through or search for "pace" within the page to find those at your own pace programs. http://learningabledkids.com/college_and_high_school/virtual_high_schools.htm

We used virtual dual enrollment programs which were a great way to earn both college and high school credits simultaneously. Virtual schooling isn't for everyone, but it works well for those who can stay on task. GOOD LUCK!
jonesgang247
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Thanks that was great help. Reply with quote

Ok like I said I am new to all this. So yeah I would like them to work at their own pace. So the virtual is out then. Lol. I am just not sure where to start in finding a home school.
sandykc
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Virtual is not out.. Reply with quote

If you want them to work at their own pace, that doesn't mean virtual programs are out.. It just means you need to be sure to pick a virtual program that is at the student's pace. There are some.. I was just saying you have to specifically look for that. There is a LOT to figure out in the beginning!! Welcome to homeschooling! Very Happy It gets a lot easier once you've got things rolling.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks that was great help. Reply with quote

jonesgang247 wrote:
Ok like I said I am new to all this. So yeah I would like them to work at their own pace. So the virtual is out then. Lol. I am just not sure where to start in finding a home school.

Your children working at their own speed is out only if you enroll them in a public charter school that uses K12 or other on-line programs. You can buy K12 on your own, and then do it any way you want. Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: