Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working on setting up homeschooling for the 1st time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HannahLukesmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Working on setting up homeschooling for the 1st time Reply with quote

Wink
Hi my name is Amanda and I am 31 a mother of two children Hannah who will be 9 on Halloween and Luke who is 6. Here recently since my daughters issues in school from being bullied to failing her classes we started researching other school options. We brought the issue and other issues up to our pediatrician and we finally got her tested for ADHD and learning disabilities. We have found out she has ADHD/ADD and still waiting on some other results. As I went to her school today I wanted to discuss issues with her and what I wanted done to help make things easier and help my daughter. I didn't get the reaction I wanted or felt my daughter deserves. So I have done research non-stop today so that by Monday morning I should have everything rolling. I am scared I don't know if I am doing the right thing about taking her out of the school system. In this I have never know anyone that has done this nor has my family members ever done this, but this no child left behind is a joke and I want my kids to succeed and get the education they deserve. So if anyone has any important or any advise I would greatly appreciate it as I am just scared I am making the wrong decision. Thanks for letting me get all this out.
gardensparrow
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!
Well, I know it can certainly feel a bit overwhelming to be starting homeschooling for the first time. But, it can definitely be a great fit for many kids-especially if you feel like your daughter is not getting the attention she needs at her current school. And, just so you know, I've heard that a lot of school districts actually have resources available to homeschoolers-particularly where children with special needs are concerned. So, you might want to check into that-the more help you can find the better! There's also tons of sites/organizations out there like this one with articles, material, etc. that might help you as you get started. In fact, I've heard of one called the National Challenged Homeschoolers Associated Networks that might be worth looking into. I know they have a lot of info on homeschooling kids with ADHD. Lastly, if you're looking for some books on this topic, maybe check out The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling by Debra Bell or Homeschooling 101: The Essential Handbook by Mark and Christine Field. Of course, there's lots more out there, but just wanted to mention some off the top of my head. Well, I hope this is a success for your family. Let us know how things go, OK?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: