Curriculum for ADHD 2nd Grader?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lallen888
User

Curriculum for ADHD 2nd Grader?

Postby lallen888 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi All. I'm a first year homeschooler to two boys, ages 7 & 9, 2nd and 3rd grade (coming out of public schools). We are using Trail Guide to Learning - Paths of Exploration. It is a unit study approach that includes traditional and hands on activities. It is working really well for my oldest and we love it. He likes knowing the topic we will be studying for the 6 week period and thrives on the immersion approach. My youngest, however, HATES it. He was over studying Christopher Columbus after the first week. He is ADHD, with emphasis on the H part. He thinks everything is boring, even when I've pieced together things that involve his favorite topics. Does anyone have a suggestion for a curriculum that is engaging to a 7 year old, wiggly, easily distracted boy? He's working at grade level, enjoys some computer work and hands on activities. Any ideas on something that will hold his focus?

Any ideas are appreciated as this is my first year and I'm already thinking I won't be able to do this with the youngest.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:36 am

You might try the old approach to ADHD, which is to tire him out a bit before study time. Have him run around the outside of your house a dozen times, or drop and give you 50 push-ups, or do a half hour of martial arts drills, or whatever you think will tire him out without making him miserable. As far as curriculum goes, I would probably get bored myself doing six weeks on Christopher Columbus. You might try traditional textbooks instead of unit studies, and let him work at whatever speed he likes as long as he ends up knowing the material. If he can learn all the important points in a couple days, why spend another five plus weeks on it? Focus the extra time on subjects he enjoys - maybe lots of outdoors science hikes, where he can run from place to place and turn over rocks and collect fossils or whatever, or crafts activities with a focus on engineering, or growing a garden, etc. If he does have to study something he doesn't enjoy, have a short break every 30 to 45 minutes.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”