Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulling son with ADHD out of PS to HS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christine540
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Pulling son with ADHD out of PS to HS Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to this site. I'm a certified teacher who provides home daycare after being unable to find a teaching job in my state; it's very competitive and lay offs have been numerous.

I have 3 kids ages 10, 12, 15. I have always been open to the concept of HS but my 2 girls did so well in PS I let them continue.

My son, however, is the 12 y/o and has ADHD. He had an IQ of 121 in first grade and is very bright, is an A student but since he began middle school this past fall, his grades are now B, C D and one F. He has stated he dislikes the changing of classes, having 7 teachers and 7 different routines to adapt to throughout the day. He cannot remember to turn in his homework no matter how many strategies we have developed to help him.

I'm weighing the pro's and con's of HS him this fall. He is open to it and said he will do what I decide.

I have this idea, however false it may be, that I am doing something wrong by him if I take him out of a societal school. But I know he is not receiving the best education at this time.

We have discussed him doing 7th grade at home and if he has settled down a bit, perhaps he could resume 8th grade back at school.

Has anyone ever sent their kids back to school after HS?
hillbillywoman
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Pulled Oldest Child Out of Public School in 7th grade Reply with quote

My daughter tested as being academically gifted in the 2nd grade. She did very well in primary school through 4th grade, making all A's. It all began to unravel when she began middle school. She began changing classes, having several teachers each day - basically a new teacher for each subject. Peer pressure and exposure to negative influences escalated, etc. Her grades began to steadily drop until she was making C's by the beginning of 7th grade. She was taken off of the gifted list due to her grades. Her attitude, by that time, had become unbearable. She was also being stalked and sexually threatened by a male classmate. So, we took her out of public school and began homeschooling.

As it turns out, the results of a diagnostic test that I administered to my daughter showed she was on 5th grade level in Math and English. Therefore, her two years of middle school had been a complete waste of time and taxpayer money. Her middle school teachers had been passing her on to the next grade level despite the fact that she could not do the work. I had made the mistake of leaving her education to the "experts", and they had failed her! So, my daughter went back to the 5th grade level in Math and English. Despite this set-back, she still managed to graduate one year ahead of her public school peers. When she entered college after graduation, her college placement tests showed that she was ready for all college-level classes. No remedial classes were necessary!

I also homeschooled my two sons, who began in grades 5 and 1. My youngest child also went on to college after graduation, and like my daughter, did very well on his college placement tests and did not have to take any remedial classes at college. My older son (my middle child) chose not to attend college, but proved himself by tutoring his public-schooled girlfriend during her last two years of high school and first year of college. She did very well on the subjects he helped her with, namely - Math, English, and History.

All three of my children have had / have great jobs, and have not had any trouble gaining employment. My daughter's last job (acquired with few college credits under her belt) was bookkeeping/computer in a local bank. She is now a stay-at-home mom with husband and 3 kids. My youngest son is now working at a local bank, as well, having access to the branch's main computer. He also acquired this position with only few college credits to his name. Most of his computer skills he learned on his on. My older son is a Correctional Officer at a Maximum Security Prison.
garethjh
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son also has ADHD, along with various other diagnoses that may or may not be accurate, but the bottom line is he doesn't do well in a traditional classroom. By the end of third grade, he tested poorly, and was later suspended. He asked me to homeschool him after the school in which I taught was closed. I did and it was the best thing ever. Working at his pace, he completed grades 4 and 5 in one year, as proved with standardized testing.

The homeschool environment works very well for him, because like so many young people with many of these diagnoses, he is very intelligent. He would get bored in class because it didn't move fast enough for him, then space out. While spaced out, the class would move forward, so that when he tuned back in, he found himself lost. The homeschool classroom afforded him the freedom to learn at the speed suited to him, thus covering more ground that he normally covered in the traditional classroom.

To answer your question, I have a friend who homeschooled her two boys until her separation from her husband. As a single mom, she had to put them back into public school this year. So far, it seems to be fine. I will keep you posted.
JamBabyVA
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter is almost 10 years old and in elementary school. She was retained in the 1st grade (after I argues for it) because she couldn't read, write, or do any type of math (even counting to 10 was difficult). Now she is in the 3rd grade and I have had enough. She still is unable to read past the 1st grade level and math is just as difficult. I too left my child's education up to the "experts" and she did not improve at all. My daughter is also ADD/ADHD and we choose not to medicate (she didn't do well on the medication) and she was easily distracted so that has a lot to do with her lower grades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: