No socialization

If you are homeschooling outside the US, or doing a lot of moving between military bases, share your stories, questions, and tips here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

sharon67
User

No socialization

Postby sharon67 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:45 pm

Hi everyone,
New to the forum and glad I found this site. My concern is, that I have two children, my son 14 a freshman, and daughter 17 a senior, both homeschooled. We live in Acapulco, Mexico, and both kids speak very little Spanish. My daughter takes ballet and my son Tae Kwon Do - this is all the exposure they have to kids their age. They do not socialize with anyone from their classes as the language is a problem, as well as the cultrual differences, not to mention that they are 'teens', and picky about making friends. They assure me they are fine and not depressed, and yes, friends would be nice, but they 'talk' to all their American friends online. My daughter is going to university in Mexico City next year, so my concern is for my son. What do families in very remote areas (no kids of similar age), or non-english speaking countries do? I feel terribly guilty, but our opportunities are here right now. Any advice would be appreciated!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:08 pm

The language / culture barrier is of course the major problem. You have two choices here - either have your children learn Spanish (preferably with an immersion course tought by someone who speaks Spanish), or look into ways your children can interact more online, preferably in collaborative projects of some sort. There isn't really any third option, assuming you don't have many English speakers living nearby.

If all else fails, your children will probably survive until college - I say this as someone whose health problems have kept me mostly at home. Online interaction isn't the same as real-life interaction, but it's enough to get by on if nothing else is available.

sharon67
User

Postby sharon67 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:34 pm

Return to “Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling”