Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things to do during the winter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maherwoman
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Things to do during the winter? Reply with quote

Hi guys!

We just moved here to Edmonton, Alberta (Canada) from California. So, in one swift move, we went from somewhere that hardly even had any precipitation or any sort of winter at all (which we HATED), to somewhere that has oodles of winter (no worries, though...husband was born here, and I LOVE cold weather).

Given that the last time I lived somewhere that snowed when I was about my daughter's age (9yrs), I don't remember what there is to do outside during snowy days!

So, can you guys fill me in on things my daughter and I can do during the winter for physical education and for extracurricular activities?

Thank you so much!
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build snow forts, snowmen, learn how to ice carve, go sledding, have snowball fights, etc. Sadly haven't had enough snow here recently to do much of that, but when I was a kid it was buckets of fun to go sledding, esp if you had snow + some freezing rain.
DMoss35
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Things to do during the winter? Reply with quote

Hi,

Welcome to the Great White North! There are lots of fun games you can play with your daughter. Here's a fun one - it involves building a snowman, then practicing your throwing skills. It even involves a fitness component, if your daughter chases the snowballs, frisbees or hats that you toss.

http://www.physicaleducationupdate.com/public/421.cfm
maherwoman
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thank you so much DMoss35!

And thanks for the welcome, too! Smile
Blessings4all
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoveling is always great exercise for kids. We live in MN and that is what my kids do. Also, snow sculpture is fun. One year my youngest daughter made a nativity scene out of snow. Smile
TheAssistant
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a blog post on this not long ago!

http://e-expeditions.com/tours/2011/11/09/9-ways-to-stay-busy-indoors/

I hope you find it useful!
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a mash-up of a handful of sites, not so much a really useful list of activities. For instance, in the Play Some Games section you mention Monopoly and Scrabble and then skip on to other stuff, totally ignoring the fact that there are hundreds of other board games available, including popular and more modern ones such as Risk 2210, Settlers of Catan, Agricola, etc., or online game sites such as zone.msn.com or kongregate.com, or so on. Needs more depth.
TheAssistant
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback! They were meant to be ideas for inspiration, but I'll keep your advice in mind. Smile
Momma24
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We lived in Britain for 5 1/2 years, and although we didn't have alot of snow, we had days where the rain fell sideways (lived in a windy valley) and it was TOO COLD and wet to do much outdoors!
I'm not sure as to whether you are looking to spend some money on these activities, but some cheaper ideas might be finding a children's excercise video with which you could 'be silly' together, or to a little more pricey idea of a Wii/ Xbox with Kinect involving ACTIVE games! (They ARE fun for all!!) ANYTHING to get the heart pumping!
As a side-note, when my youngest was just beginning school, he was SO HYPER sometimes that I had to purchase one of those jogging trampolines and give him 10 minutes of jumping between subjects to tire him for sitting some more! : ) (On the dry days he took laps around the house! It was SO funny to see his hair flopping by the windows!) Laughing
Tashathomson
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ice skating is a good to go. Running around and having snowball fights are also best things to do with your daughter! You can also check if there are any homeschool groups in your area that organise group activities for the homeschooled kids.

Above All, Have lots of Fun!
Instructor
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always take a martial arts class. They have homeshool programs for those too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: