Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disappointed with ACT score

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missbello
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Disappointed with ACT score Reply with quote

I just took the ACT for the first time in June and I scored a twenty-two(22). I am so disappointed because I actually did study and my parents hired a tutor. I studied using Barron's, the real ACT guide, and Princeton Review. I even studied a day before the test. I constantly scored a 25-26 on the practice tests, yet I did horrible on real exam. I guess anxiety took over my ability to perform well on the test. Also, I did not have a timer and I found myself running out of time on some sections. My lowest score was reading. I didn't even get to read all the passages. Furthermore, I only got to read the first passage and answer the questions. On science, however, I managed to do better than reading. I scored in low 20's in the science section. I also ran out of time on the science. I had the highest scores in Math and Reading. How should I study over the summer to improve my score and what books other than I mentioned should I buy to study? I have a good gpa(3.8 unweighted as a junior) and I don't want my ACT scores to weight me down from getting into a good college.
RPascal206
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: ACT Advice Reply with quote

As a homeschool graduate and college junior, my best advice is to purchase ACT practice tests, and retake each one until you reach a desired score in as little time as possible. Each time you retake the practice exam try beating your record time. This is by far the best technique I have used for my college classes.

Don’t give up—I know you can do it! Wink

I would like to add, however, that I never actually took the ACT: here in Texas, universities often prefer the ACCUPLACER; which, by the way, is not timed. Please do research and find out whether it truly is required for you to take the ACT. If not, you could save yourself a lot of time.

Hope this helps, and God bless! Smile`

Oh, and if you have any more questions, just let us know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: