thinking about homeschooling my daughter

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tempcat6
User

thinking about homeschooling my daughter

Postby tempcat6 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:42 pm

I am very new to this and was just looking for some advice, my daughter is 9, I am unhappy with the school system. The school says that she has ADHD, and at every conference since kindergarden they have told me she needs to be medicated. I have told them that I don't belive in medicating children, and they just stare at me. She is spending most of her day in the special education room, also seeing the school consilor once a week, but at home I never see any kind of ADHD behavior. Than the teaches tell me how smart she is, and can't understand why I don't help her by putting her in medication. Now I have talked to her doctor and we both agree that she is fine and doesn't need medication. I just think that the school is understimulating her and I know that she is bored, and not to mention the fight to get her to go to school. She hates the special classes because as she put it "I'm helping teach more than I get to learn". I also know that there is some bulling going on, she is a little thick around the middle, as she used to come home crying. I don't know, all I really want is whats best for her.

MNKristy
User

Postby MNKristy » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:19 pm

I understand how you feel! I am pulling my son from public school next school year. I can't this year since I am employed by the school district and have a contract. I am in a similar situation. He has had trouble focusing since kindergarten. I did make the mistake of medicating him. We have tried just about every type of medication and the teachers still complain about his attention. I have finally decided that it is the school system that can not meet his needs and not the fault of medication. I will be taking him off medication at the end of the school year and taking over his education. Theres no one that can help my child succeed like I can. My son also is very smart and I think maybe he is inattentive because he is bored in school.
Kristy

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids

armywife
User

i understand

Postby armywife » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:23 am

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:54 am

teenutter
User

Postby teenutter » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:02 pm

Hi I am new to this forum, but I cannot resist this topic. I have 3 children 2 I homeschooled K-3 grade and then placed in a private school run by our church, and my youngest attended the private school until this year and I am currently homeschooling her (7th grade). I worked at the private school when my youngest started school in the first grade and I taught k5-1st grade there. I was so shocked at the student we recieved from public school most every boy was labeled ADHD. Most all were on medication and not one child was working on their grade level in any thing most were at least 2 years behind, and most barely could read. needless to say we had to have a remedial phonic/reading class for these student. one child in this class was in the 8th grade and could only read short vowel words well the rest was like a forigen language to him. Public school was never an option for our family, I believe that no matter where you send your kids to school you had better be very involved because christian schools are made up of the kids who are made fun of and also the ones that cause trouble in public school. I was blessed with the private school we had because they screened applicants and the if accepted the new student was on probation and could be dismissed at any time. I am really anti public school because of what I saw coming into our private school.

Tina
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Prov. 22:6niv

sheri berri
User

Postby sheri berri » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:41 pm

My reasons for homeschooling were abit differnt, My son is incredibly bright he tested in the 98 percent straight across, we had trouble getting him enrichment , he felt as if he was being treated as a baby as far as academics lol I am a hair stylist a few evenings a week and it was actually beleive this or not "teachers" ( I have several as clients) who strongly urged i find alternative schooling for him , i was very hesitant at first on home schooling the reason i was concerned was academically i wasn't up to par, I never worried about the social aspect ( I suppose becasue I live in the beach community of California we beg for quiet time) the diversity is a great plus lol, so I choose homeschooling for the academic depth and hands down its far superior to any school public or private, its geared to the child, with one on one attenion, I volunteered for years at the schools i know the system very well, Home schooling is tops in education, the parent needs only bring a passion for learning themselves to the table..Namaste sheri
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming!!! goethe

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”