Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can I homeschool in an unfamiliar language? or other opt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soyena
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: How can I homeschool in an unfamiliar language? or other opt Reply with quote

Hi all parents, my daughter is 2 years old, yes, really young, BUT here in Chile, our kids needs to start school at 3 years old in order to ensure they have a spot in the nice schools. To top off all that crazy, the school hour for a 3 years old is from 9:30~2:30pm. So I am already starting to plan for her education.

I am a Taiwanese who lived in South America my entire childhood, attended our local American Christian academy throughout high school. Went back to Taiwan for college and Spain for masters. Now, my Spanish is not good enough for me to homeschool by the local system, nor is my Mandarin good enough to do it by Taiwan's system. We are not US citizen, can we follow an US system?

Is it a good idea to follow an English system when we are living in an Spanish speaking country and we are not even from an English speaking country....

This international thing is really throwing me off in all kinds of decision making. We are currently doing a bilingual system with her, Mandarin and English... in which language should she be reading/learning specific subjects?

All suggestions or comments are welcomed!!!!!
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first, take a deep breath. Studies have shown zero long-term advantage to formally teaching a child before age 5 or 6 or so, so all this rushing to get into a good preschool and then a good kindergarten is a bit unnecessary. You can easily cover all that stuff at home, it's just letters and numbers and then basic math and phonics. Chile is unrestricted when it comes to homeschooling, so there's really no rush to school period:
http://www.hslda.org/hs/international/Chile/200307010.asp

As for what language to use, I would assume that depends on where you will be in 3-5 years and what the school your child will be going to primarily uses. You could theoretically just homeschool all the way to high school and college, for which there are definitely schools in Chile catering to English speakers. I don't know about elementary, but you can probably do a few searches for your area and find out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: