Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forensics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Forensics Reply with quote

Forensics is not a sport, but this seems to be the only forum for homeschool extracurricular activities, so I will post this here.

The NCFCA (National Christian Forensics and Communications Association) is a forensics league for homeschooled students. There are at the moment several thousand competitors across the nation who compete in qualifying tournaments throughout the year and advance to a national tournament held each year in a different place in the country.

There are many, many benefits to doing speech and debate. If your child enjoys logic, public speaking, drama, or wants to go into law or politics, I would highly encourage you to look into speech and debate. You can visit the NCFCA's website here:

www.ncfca.org

Go to the "local contacts" page and find a person in your state or region to contact and they will help you get involved.
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Forensics as in debating: Reply with quote

So it's a national debate competition? I'm a little confused as to why the particular word "forensics" is used in the title, since the term is ambiguous and most people will assume it means "the use of science and technology to investigate and establish facts in criminal or civil courts of law," but let's put that aside for the moment. Debating is good, and I'll go change the title of this forum so your post properly fits.
Luke
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the other definition of forensics. The forensics that I'm referring to is speech and debate...

fo·ren·sics ( P ) Pronunciation Key (f-rnsks, -zks)
n. (used with a sing. verb)
1. The art or study of formal debate; argumentation.
2. The use of science and technology to investigate and establish facts in criminal or civil courts of law.

- The American Heritage Dictionary

Thanks for changing the forum name...
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Oh, I know about the other definition myself... Reply with quote

Oh, I know about the other definition myself, it's just that the word may be confusing to some people.
scatteredpearl
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Forensics Reply with quote

In public high school, some years ago, I was in Forensics. It was a great experience for me. I didn't participate in many atcivities. This was some what choice.

Drama (alone)
Drama (duet)
Drama (group)
Newscasting (just like it sounds, but no chance to practice on the topics)
Debating
and many others.

I was in a group for drama. In the drama you cannot make physical contact as well as eye contact with your partner(s). To watch a "show" is almost humorous because of this. There are only chairs/stools to use as props. Imagine playing out your favorite scene from your favorite film and not being able to look at your partner at all and no props.

At one time I was the only member of the team that was able to make it to the tourney you could only miss one. I had already missed and if I hadn't gone I would have been dropped.

But no team...

I did the Newscasting. Whoa, that was fun. You are given a number of topics and/or articles to create a newscast that must last a specified amount of time. You may have use of some note cards, but you are limited to how much you can use it.

In forensics you are not "graded" but critiqued. Told you "good points" and let known what you need to work on. That was great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: