Rod & Staff curriulum question

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bttrflyvld
User

Rod & Staff curriulum question

Postby bttrflyvld » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:09 pm

elliemaejune
User

Re: Rod & Staff curriulum question

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:32 am

Rod and Staff Publishers is a Mennonite company, writing and publishing traditional school textbooks. As such, they do not have a Web site. However, if you call the company at (606) 522-4348, they will gladly send you a catalog, a scope and sequence, and curriculum samples, which will answer most of your questions. :-)

Personally, I like the math and science series; the reading, not so much, especially the first grade materials, as it is heavy on sight reading. Haven't used the music materials. R&S doesn't publish its own art series; they sell Art With a Purpose, which is "prepared" by Share-A-Care. I like the cursive penmanship instruction, but the first grade manuscript paper is too large.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

foundations45
User

Postby foundations45 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Actually the do have a website here...http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/

You can go on their site, see samples and actually request a grade level sample of their books and curriculum.

We have just started using the Grade 2 reading, spelling, phonics and Grade 3 and Grade 6 english (grammar). These are textbooks and are black and white. I didn't think my 2 sons ages 7 and 10 would enjoy them... but they love them! Especially the reading. All the reading assignments for this level are biblical stories retold at their grade level. My kids love to read about their favorite bible heroes. My older son was about 2 years behind in reading and has improved so he is now only 1 year behind. I attribute much of this to the structure of the reading program.

As with any program though, it has to fit your family and learning styles. I encourage you to get the samples to see.

Blessings!
Terri

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

mindy8
User

our experience

Postby mindy8 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:17 pm

I would definitely recommend looking up sample pages. We have only done their Grammar and we found some of it to be kind of confusing. My husband would get annoyed with the lack of explanation when I was gone and he tried to help the kids. But the worksheets that go along with the lessons for practice are great and inexpensive and so are the test booklets - really affordable@

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”