Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Employer wants proof

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickt892003
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Employer wants proof Reply with quote

I was pulled out of school in the beginning of tenth grade. I had cut my finger an was going to miss alot of school so my parents homeschooled me. I'm going to be starting a new job an the employer wants proof, only my parents were told they didn't need to gave proof in the state of Wisconsin. They were also told its illegal for anyone to question it. Not sure which is true. What should I do? They had a paper from social services stating I was going to be honeschooled for my high-school years but they can't find it.
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Work permits are issued at various locations throughout the state. You may apply for a work permit at your school office or call (608) 266-6860 for information on where in your area you may apply for a work permit."

This quote is from the following link:

http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/er/labor_standards_bureau/work_permits.htm

If you are under 18, you need a work permit. You should call the phone number listed above and ask them what you need to do, since you are homeschooled. They may tell you to apply at the local public school that you would be attending if you were not homeschooled.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Employer wants proof Reply with quote

Nickt892003 wrote:
I was pulled out of school in the beginning of tenth grade. I had cut my finger an was going to miss alot of school so my parents homeschooled me. I'm going to be starting a new job an the employer wants proof, only my parents were told they didn't need to gave proof in the state of Wisconsin. They were also told its illegal for anyone to question it. Not sure which is true. What should I do? They had a paper from social services stating I was going to be honeschooled for my high-school years but they can't find it.

What is the employer asking for proof of? That you're homeschooled?

Your parents are supposed to report to the Department of Public Instruction at the beginning of the year, using a specific form. Do you know if they did that?

If they did, and that's what the employer is asking about (IOW, verifying that you are being educated at home and not truant), then that's a reasonable request.

Your parents need to take care of the paperwork. That means they have to report every year until you are 18. A letter from Social Services does not satisfy the law.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
AngelaBreckenridge
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to follow the law, need to get Homework-desk.com permits.

Last edited by AngelaBreckenridge on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelaBreckenridge wrote:
You need to follow the law, need to get job permits.

You do realize that the post you're replying to is two years old? The person who asked the question has probably now graduated from high school.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: