Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dactyle
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reading Reply with quote

What are some good ways or programs to keep a child's reading beyond the status quo.
naturalist4
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try recommending books to him that are about things he's interested in. If he finds that reading about things he likes is fun than maybe he will explore other books. Encourage reading and keep books available.
TheresaHPIR
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a firm believer that one of the best ways to improve reading and reading comprehension is simply to read, and read often.

Have the child sign up for his/her OWN library card at the local library and encourage checking out a variety of different books. Mix in some non-fiction with the fiction. Alternate poetry with prose. Choose books in a variety of different subjects and/or genres. Make going to the library a regular, weekly or bi-weekly event.

Building on that...have available different TYPES of reading material. Encourage kids to pick up a newspaper or magazine. Try comic books or graphic novels. Read the backs of cereal boxes, or road signs. Just READ.

Keep a well stocked home library, both for the child AND yourself, and lead by example. I believe my nephew's appreciation for reading comes from the fact that since he was a baby, we not only read to him, but he always saw us with a book in our hands. As he's getting older, I often will read the same book he's reading, or has just finished, so that I can discuss it with him. We've had some hilarious conversations and enjoyed many good books together.

Make reading a game...pick up a copy of 1001 Children's Books to Read Before You Die, and see how many you can get through within a set time frame. As the child gets older, gradually work in the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die edition. Reward with a small treat for goals set.

One strategy I've seen many parents use is rewarding reading with "screen time," either for the TV, computer, or video games. So many minutes/hours of reading equals an equivalent amount of screen time.

If the child is struggling with reading, reading out loud can be good practice. Have the child read to you, a younger sibling, or even a pet or toy. Have them talk about what they read and ask interactive questions.
MMercer
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me say that I am a homeschooling mom and an academic coach for students how are struggling with learning disabilities. At home and in my practice, I use the Rediscover the Joy of Learning strategy for Reading Comprehension. I find the this visual strategy works well with every student I work with, even the "at risk" students the have failed in public school.

There is some great info at http://blog.nlpok.com that should help you with the reading strategy.

Mollie Mercer
judyhanning
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Assisting People with LDs Reply with quote

I agree with all the replies from this post. It is in with continuing to read will most likely help with your child's level of reading. Most of us continue to read in order to gain more and updated knowledge.

Here is a website that might also assist you about learning disorders http://www.learning-aids.com
David Brown
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt finding the child a book that they become engaged with. We can teach them all kinds of methods but if they have a book they love, they will read it on their own accord and when they're finished they'll hopefully be hungry for more Very Happy
judybaker123
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree and say that when children use books that pop out and that also have rhymes are the most helpful and help your children process and think quicker.
I have some places to check out some books that I recommend.

Best Books for Toddlers
Best Baby Books
Teacher&Coach
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that books with color and music can really help as well as word and memory games and challenging reading exercises always help.

As both an Educator and Sport Coach, I find it necessary these days to keep kids challenged and engaged.

I have been using the Reading Genius for Kids (http://readinggenius4kids.com) product and it is excellent. It comes with over 100 books , and my son & daughter can change the colors of the text, challenge themselves with reading exercises and compete ..just like a video game and their reading and more importantly, desire and willingness to read has improved noticeably.

They can also choose from a variety of instrumental music while using it the program. My neighbors noticed it and they bought it for their kids also.. and seem to have similar results.
gilmarie
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: News-O-Matic Reply with quote

What about incorporating News-O-Matic to your school day? It is a fun, interactive daily digital newspaper for kids. They also offer homeschool parents a FREE teacher's guide with each edition. Email info@press4kids.com for the PDF.

Press4Kids is also on twitter! https://twitter.com/Press4Kids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: