Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you believe in?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Religious Discussion / Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marrisha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: What do you believe in? Reply with quote

I'm just curious...what do you believe in and what to you teach your children about-CREATION or EVOLUTION?
Lily
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution.

ETA: We teach evolution as the scientific theory it is, and explain creationism as a hypothesis. Eventually we'll explain how the word theory differs in the literary sense from the scientific sense, and how it pertains to creationism being called a theory.
MNKristy
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creationism as the truth from the unfaliable Word of God!

I explain evolution as the absurd nonsense taught by the public school system and not based on facts or evidence. I refer to materials by Don Bierle of FaithSearch International and Answers in Genesis to back up this viewpoint.

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids
4given
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We teach Creationism.

All things point to our Creator.

What a wonderful world He has given us to explore and discover.

We are "thinking God's thoughts after Him."
Jill
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creationism.
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We teach a version of Intelligent Design/Creationism. We do teach about the theory of Evolution both micro and macro. We examen all sides of the issue but everything goes back to God being the Creator. We teach that Creation was done in 6 days (but also we can not completely say what a day to God is).
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boys believe that God created it all, and they are the ones that quickly point out the anomalies of evolution. I here things like "but that couldn't have evolved that way" Or "why do people think that this was an accident?" I tell them both the theories, why I believe what I do, and they show me things I didn't even think of as contradictions in the evolutionary thought.
They are only 10, and 8.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
isamama
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creationism rules; however, I do want my kids to be knowledgeable of evolution, so we touch on that. I have a book titled God Spoke and Bang it Happened that we'll be working through.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe there's any scientific basis to evolution, but I also believe that it's a good idea to learn both points of views, since you're going to have to debate the subject eventually, and you can't do that based off ignorance.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creationism. I believe that good science supports a special creation model. I tell the dc what evolution is, but that it is only a theory that is not supported by good science.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Minniewannabe
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DH and I both have heavy science backgrounds. Our only instruction was in evolution. But it was not until we both entered the medical field that we were taught the fallacy of many of the scientific studies. Because of the bias of the researchers or study subjects, many outcomes aren't as black and white as they seem. In other words, the scientific method couldn't always be perfectly correct. Unfortunately, there are too many human factors involved.

Nonetheless, we feel creationism and evolution are similar. If one reads Genesis and then a Carl Sagan book on the big bang theory, for example, the two parallel greatly in the order of events. There's not enough difference between the two for us to give it much thought. We teach creationism and use textbooks as such, but we also teach that evolution is similar and probably snagged with the fallacy of the scientific method. As a way to demonstrate, think how many times we have to repeat our child's science experiment because it didn't quite work. Or think that we used to give asthmatic children menthol cigarettes during asthma attacks because scientifically, that was the "proven" method of treatment (1940's or 50's, I believe).

No matter what the outcome in the ever evolving science of evolution (pun intended), what is most unbelievable to us is the fact that the writer of Genesis got it right. There was no scientific method then, no textbooks already written, no computers to calculate distances between stars, no telescopes. Yet Genesis has everything listed in perfect order. That is the miracle and yet another proof of the Bible's truth. I agree with the above mom that we don't know how long a day is to God. Perhaps evolution will uncover that in years to come. Wink

p.s. Carl Sagan, an avid atheist, was asked in the early 1980's if he was an atheist because of being a scientist and his research into the beginning of the universe. He replied that no, just the opposite. The more he researched the beginning of the universe, the more he had trouble staying atheist. (This comes from my memory of seeing him interviewed on a Phil Donahue show. )
douglisa
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on teaching both and letting him decide himself.
He may just stay undecided, as I am.
horse_rider1990
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I'm only 18, I cannot say what my own children are being taught, unless of course, you count my horses as children, but that's another story in itself. I was raised a Christian and taught Creationist.

But I have pondered both and not take it as blind theory. I fully believe in the creation of the world by God. I don't always understand certain aspects, such as how God has always been or eternity is in fact eternity, but I've come to realize, their are a good many things the human mind cannot comphrehend went it come to questions of existence.

I believe that even Creationists should know a bit about Evolution because otherwise, we cannot reasonably debate with Evolutionists if we don't have what they believe.
mommyto2gr8ones
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are teaching that we believe in Creationism but my dc is exposed to the idea of Evolution. My dh watches ALOT of "learning channels" and we have had talks about Evolution but our dc know that to us, it all started with God.
And Furbaby CopyCat~7/03
"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me"~Phillipians 4:13
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids have been exposed to both. I don't have an agenda on these two ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Religious Discussion / Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: