Left-handed writing curriculum?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bcksmom
User

Left-handed writing curriculum?

Postby bcksmom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Our oldest is 3 1/2 and I would like to get him started in a writing curriculum...formal or informal. He is left-handed and it seems like everything is geared for right-handed children. Do I teach him the same way I would teach a right-hander? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:28 pm

williamblake621
User

Postby williamblake621 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:40 am

I think first link is better than second one ! thanks for sharing.
william blake

Llola
User

Postby Llola » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:51 pm

My 21 year old DD is a lefty and it's never prevented her from writing in any book or workbook. If there is a problem, just rip the pages out of the book so the spine is out of the way.

ranae
User

Postby ranae » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:11 am

We use Handwriting Without Tears and have found it helpful for my lefty daughter. From their website:

Handwriting Without Tears designed student workbooks to be left-hand friendly. We put models for the children to copy on both sides of the page so that left-handed students don’t cover the model they are asked to copy. This alleviates the problem of left-handed individuals having to hook their wrists to see the models and enables them to maintain correct positioning.

NicoleMPratt
User

Postby NicoleMPratt » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 am

I know this question was asked quite sometime ago but I have a left handed daughter and I just cut the binding off from the handwriting workbooks I got and rebound them on the right side. This was to prevent the binding being in the way of her hand when she was learning to write so she could focus on the formation of the letters correctly.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”