Finally! Homeschooling here we come!...... UH, HELP!!!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

stephybee
User

Finally! Homeschooling here we come!...... UH, HELP!!!

Postby stephybee » Sun May 20, 2012 10:45 am

So I finally convinced my husband to join the train on homeschooling. After I went as far as having a presentation on why homeschooling was best for our super bright son with ADHD/ANXIETY/MOTOR TICS AND POSSIBLE TOURETTE'S. He said fine, we can give it try. No way he could have said no, right? :) I posted in april that we were having trouble at school and I wanted him to finish kindergarten before we hs. Well we had not seen a doctor before that post so we had no idea what was going on with our son. After a few trips to the psychiatrists office, we learned that he had more issues other than not wanting to wake up in the morning for school. Not a morning person at all. School is over in 4 weeks. Yay!
I have researched for a year and I thought I would be ready if the day came when we decided we would go through with it. Im a little freaked but can't wait. :)
The school he goes to now is a magnet school 1st-5th so his kindergaten class is not. There are only 24 kids and not all of them got accepted, he was one of them. Since he wont be enrolled in a public school after kinder, who do we notify that he will be homeschooled??? If anyone knows, please let me know. I live in Granada Hills Ca
I cannot wait to get started! :)

elliemaejune
User

Re: Finally! Homeschooling here we come!...... UH, HELP!!!

Postby elliemaejune » Sun May 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Stephy, you'll get more answers if you post in the "Getting Started" forum. :D

But the sort answer is that you only need to notify the school he's currently attending that he will not be returning.

California is what we call a private school state; that is, homeschoolers are considered the equivalent of private schools. You will need to file a Private School Affidavit between October 1 and 15, which is a simple on-line form where you describe your private school. You can find a comprehensive guide to homeschooling at California Homeschool Network.

I highly recommend membership in the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA). Although it is legal to homeschool in California, homeschoolers still continue to face challenges from public school officials, and, in some cases, Child Protective Services. HSLDA membership is a small amount each year, and it's worth every penny.

Finally, you might find some helpful resources at NATHHAN..
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Getting Started”