Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daughter says she wants to go back to school

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TayBay
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Daughter says she wants to go back to school Reply with quote

We have been homeschooling our youngest since 4th grade. She is 12 years old. Her older sister went through the traditional public school system and is now a freshman at a 4-year college. We recently moved back to our hometown where my daughter has several friends who are in public school. She now says she wants to go to 7th grade at the public school. She says it is mainly for "friends". Now, she is very active in other areas. She plays in a homeschool band, is in a tween book club with other homeschoolers, and has made a few homeschool friends. She has friends at our church and is always attending summer camps. My husband and I feel very strongly that she should continue homeschooling at least through middle school. We feel very strongly about the benefits. My question is....is this normal for some kids to struggle with? Anyone have advice as to how to handle this? Thanks!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Daughter says she wants to go back to school Reply with quote

If you feel very strongly about it, then that's your answer.

Many homeschooled children talk about wanting to go to public school (or private school). Smile

If your dd were more isolated, I'd say she might have a case (albeit a very small one, lol). But with all of her homeschool and church activities, I feel safe in saying that her wanting to go for "friends" is a really poor reason, and I'd tell her no. Or at least not yet.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
PSteacher
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this age, especially for girls, children are obsessed with other kids view of them because they are forming their identities. But think back to your middle school years, for many students, it is the most difficult time of childhood because they are hyper-focused on "fitting in". It is far healthier that your daughter is forming friendships based on mutual interest vs who is popular or not at school. Most kids friends change drastically and sometimes painfully from middle school to high school as they form their identities. Have your older daughter share her experiences in middle school and explain how much things change between now and high school.

GOOD LUCK!
Lee_Queen
User

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Daughter says she wants to go back to school Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:
TayBay wrote:
We have been homeschooling our youngest since 4th grade. She is 12 years old. Her older sister went through the traditional public school system and is now a freshman at a 4-year college. We recently moved back to our hometown where my daughter has several friends who are in public school. She now says she wants to go to 7th grade at the public school. She says it is mainly for "friends". Now, she is very active in other areas. She plays in a homeschool band, is in a tween book club with other homeschoolers, and has made a few homeschool friends. She has friends at our church and is always attending summer camps. My husband and I feel very strongly that she should continue homeschooling at least through middle school. We feel very strongly about the benefits. My question is....is this normal for some kids to struggle with? Anyone have advice as to how to handle this? Thanks!

If you feel very strongly about it, then that's your answer.

Many homeschooled children talk about wanting to go to public school (or private school). Smile

If your dd were more isolated, I'd say she might have a case (albeit a very small one, lol). But with all of her homeschool and church activities, I feel safe in saying that her wanting to go for "friends" is a really poor reason, and I'd tell her no. Or at least not yet.

elliemaejune said it best! If you have you strong feelings, then stick with those! It's very normal for this to happen. My one dd was struggling with her ambivalence about loving hs and being curious about public school. She knew I had previously taught in a public school so she tried to use that against me! (little devil Razz) But I think your dd is in a great position to be very successful as far as her social development goes, she's so active! (I'm quite impressed actually lol) I think she'll get the best of both worlds, her education and development from home and her social life outside of home (and her friendships with kids from public school).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: