Daughter says she wants to go back to school

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

TayBay
User

Daughter says she wants to go back to school

Postby TayBay » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:48 pm

We have been homeschooling our youngest since 4th grade. She is 12 years old. Her older sister went through the traditional public school system and is now a freshman at a 4-year college. We recently moved back to our hometown where my daughter has several friends who are in public school. She now says she wants to go to 7th grade at the public school. She says it is mainly for "friends". Now, she is very active in other areas. She plays in a homeschool band, is in a tween book club with other homeschoolers, and has made a few homeschool friends. She has friends at our church and is always attending summer camps. My husband and I feel very strongly that she should continue homeschooling at least through middle school. We feel very strongly about the benefits. My question is....is this normal for some kids to struggle with? Anyone have advice as to how to handle this? Thanks!

elliemaejune
User

Re: Daughter says she wants to go back to school

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:45 am

If you feel very strongly about it, then that's your answer.

Many homeschooled children talk about wanting to go to public school (or private school). :-)

If your dd were more isolated, I'd say she might have a case (albeit a very small one, lol). But with all of her homeschool and church activities, I feel safe in saying that her wanting to go for "friends" is a really poor reason, and I'd tell her no. Or at least not yet.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

PSteacher
User

Postby PSteacher » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:05 pm

At this age, especially for girls, children are obsessed with other kids view of them because they are forming their identities. But think back to your middle school years, for many students, it is the most difficult time of childhood because they are hyper-focused on "fitting in". It is far healthier that your daughter is forming friendships based on mutual interest vs who is popular or not at school. Most kids friends change drastically and sometimes painfully from middle school to high school as they form their identities. Have your older daughter share her experiences in middle school and explain how much things change between now and high school.

GOOD LUCK!

Lee_Queen
User

Re: Daughter says she wants to go back to school

Postby Lee_Queen » Fri May 25, 2012 12:41 pm

elliemaejune wrote:
TayBay wrote:We have been homeschooling our youngest since 4th grade. She is 12 years old. Her older sister went through the traditional public school system and is now a freshman at a 4-year college. We recently moved back to our hometown where my daughter has several friends who are in public school. She now says she wants to go to 7th grade at the public school. She says it is mainly for "friends". Now, she is very active in other areas. She plays in a homeschool band, is in a tween book club with other homeschoolers, and has made a few homeschool friends. She has friends at our church and is always attending summer camps. My husband and I feel very strongly that she should continue homeschooling at least through middle school. We feel very strongly about the benefits. My question is....is this normal for some kids to struggle with? Anyone have advice as to how to handle this? Thanks!

If you feel very strongly about it, then that's your answer.

Many homeschooled children talk about wanting to go to public school (or private school). :-)

If your dd were more isolated, I'd say she might have a case (albeit a very small one, lol). But with all of her homeschool and church activities, I feel safe in saying that her wanting to go for "friends" is a really poor reason, and I'd tell her no. Or at least not yet.

elliemaejune said it best! If you have you strong feelings, then stick with those! It's very normal for this to happen. My one dd was struggling with her ambivalence about loving hs and being curious about public school. She knew I had previously taught in a public school so she tried to use that against me! (little devil :P) But I think your dd is in a great position to be very successful as far as her social development goes, she's so active! (I'm quite impressed actually lol) I think she'll get the best of both worlds, her education and development from home and her social life outside of home (and her friendships with kids from public school).

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”