Bible used in learning to read: Noah Plan etc. Help?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Xapis10
User

Bible used in learning to read: Noah Plan etc. Help?

Postby Xapis10 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:11 am

I would like to incorporate Bible into my child's first reading. The Noah Plan attracts me for this reason, although I want to be able to have them start reading short vowel things right away. Has anyone used the Noah Plan for Reading? Do you have to come close to finishing "Spell to write and read," before starting to read Bible? Would it work to use something other than "Spell to write and read" for this concept of using the Bible? Maybe Alphaphonics or Scaredy Cat or the Eagles' Wings order of phonics rules, with selected Bible phrases for reading? I like the idea of Alpha Omega's early readers (Bible stories), but do they progress a little too fast? Any thoughts would be great!

elliemaejune
User

Re: Bible used in learning to read: Noah Plan etc. Help?

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:58 am

Xapis10 wrote:I would like to incorporate Bible into my child's first reading. The Noah Plan attracts me for this reason, although I want to be able to have them start reading short vowel things right away. Has anyone used the Noah Plan for Reading? Do you have to come close to finishing "Spell to write and read," before starting to read Bible? Would it work to use something other than "Spell to write and read" for this concept of using the Bible? Maybe Alphaphonics or Scaredy Cat or the Eagles' Wings order of phonics rules, with selected Bible phrases for reading? I like the idea of Alpha Omega's early readers (Bible stories), but do they progress a little too fast? Any thoughts would be great!

Ok, so, the NOAH Plan itself does not teach reaching; it includes Spell to Write and Read. Is that correct? Because you can buy SWR on its own without the NOAH Plan. The author is Wanda Sanseri.

Wanda actually started with the Spalding Method, and then decided to write something of her own. Spalding is what I recommend to teach children to read and spell.

But yes, I'd guess that a child would need to complete one year of SWR (or Spalding) to be able to make a stab at reading the Bible.

AlphaPhonics is also a good phonics method.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”