Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does England teach about US history?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: What does England teach about US history? Reply with quote

My family and I were watching a special the other day and it got us thinking. We know what our history book says about why the colonist left England and we know what our history says followed, but what does England teach happened?
Jill
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought provoking question...
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really love to know the answer to this question so if there is anyone from England or someone who has studied there who could answer it, that would be great. I would also LOVE to get my hands on an English history book with this information in it if anyone knows where I could get one.

These are just some of the things I am curious about. Feel free to elaborate on things that aren't listed here even if it is something that we might not teach in our books.

What do they teach about the Revolutionary War?
How do they portray the King's part in all this?
What about the Boston Tea Party?
What do they teach about when we finally declared our independence?
How about the religion aspect of it?
And all those other things that are in our books...what do they learn happened? and what are they taught was the reason for the colonist leaving in the first place?

There are always two sides to every story and they are rarely the same, so I am just really curious as to what their side is.
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fifth grader is in the midst of studying this time period. I would love to hear the other side of the story, too.

Anybody?
Ceres
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a friend from England about this and here are her replies. They're not completely streamlined because they came in several different PMs and she was responding off-the-cuff:

Quote:
The Boston tea party was so called because tea was tipped into the sea as a protest about taxes. The king was out of touch with things in general...he was..If i rememeber correctly...a German man who inhertied the throne/crown as next in succession but he didnt bother to learn English.

What do they teach about when we finally declared our independence?
You won

How about the religion aspect of it?
And all those other things that are in our books...what do they learn happened? and what are they taught was the reason for the colonist leaving in the first place?

The Colonialists left here to pursue religious freedom.

Quote:
Ive asked someone and he wasnt taught it much at all!. He thinks that the French sided with America simply because they could undermine the English.
France and England have had many wars throughout history. England once owned part of France....and we still have a slightly uneasy feel about each other

Quote:
I'll also ask my children if they remember what they were taught but I think it will be very little because...for some reason..history used to begin with the saxons and come forward but by the time it reached relatively modern days the kids had left school
Well..ok...perhaps not that exactly.
None of my children took History as one of their option choices and I believe Im correct in telling you that the curriculum has changed so that lessons now begin with 1900 and the 2 world wars as most prevelant points.
That means that children miss out on their heritage. We have 2000 years of history here

Here is a link that she sent along as well:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/rebels_redcoats_01.shtml

(Thanks for the input Tadpole! Wink)

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Activities_Director
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good question. I visited Boston a few years ago and learned all about it from an American perspective but I often wondered the same thing. What do they teach happened.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> History All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: