Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally! Homeschooling here we come!...... UH, HELP!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephybee
User

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Finally! Homeschooling here we come!...... UH, HELP!!! Reply with quote

So I finally convinced my husband to join the train on homeschooling. After I went as far as having a presentation on why homeschooling was best for our super bright son with ADHD/ANXIETY/MOTOR TICS AND POSSIBLE TOURETTE'S. He said fine, we can give it try. No way he could have said no, right? Smile I posted in april that we were having trouble at school and I wanted him to finish kindergarten before we hs. Well we had not seen a doctor before that post so we had no idea what was going on with our son. After a few trips to the psychiatrists office, we learned that he had more issues other than not wanting to wake up in the morning for school. Not a morning person at all. School is over in 4 weeks. Yay!
I have researched for a year and I thought I would be ready if the day came when we decided we would go through with it. Im a little freaked but can't wait. Smile
The school he goes to now is a magnet school 1st-5th so his kindergaten class is not. There are only 24 kids and not all of them got accepted, he was one of them. Since he wont be enrolled in a public school after kinder, who do we notify that he will be homeschooled??? If anyone knows, please let me know. I live in Granada Hills Ca
I cannot wait to get started! Smile
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally! Homeschooling here we come!...... UH, HELP!!! Reply with quote

Stephy, you'll get more answers if you post in the "Getting Started" forum. Very Happy

But the sort answer is that you only need to notify the school he's currently attending that he will not be returning.

California is what we call a private school state; that is, homeschoolers are considered the equivalent of private schools. You will need to file a Private School Affidavit between October 1 and 15, which is a simple on-line form where you describe your private school. You can find a comprehensive guide to homeschooling at California Homeschool Network.

I highly recommend membership in the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA). Although it is legal to homeschool in California, homeschoolers still continue to face challenges from public school officials, and, in some cases, Child Protective Services. HSLDA membership is a small amount each year, and it's worth every penny.

Finally, you might find some helpful resources at NATHHAN..
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: