Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschooling in Belgium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ann B
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling in Belgium Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm Ann (39), married with 2 daughters. The eldest (14) is going to school (and doing just fine), the youngest (9) is being home schooled. We live in Belgium, Flanders to be more accurate, that's the Dutch (Flemish) speaking part of the country.

We are now in our third year of homeschooling and still struggling to find the right approach. Actually, today (Nov 14 2011) we - again - made up a new plan. My daughter is extremely stubborn, seems uninterested in whatever I try, is a little perfectionist, is very social but has problems communicating with most kids of her own age, is very creative, has a lot of phantasy, looks at everything in a different way, … Briefly, she's a really adorable kid, but she can occasionally drive you nuts.

She recently taught herself English (watching way too much tv) and anything in English now is 'cool'. So I'm surfing on that wave for the time being.

We decided to do math in English, use a curriculum for learning (better and more) English and let everything else be integrated in unit studies. For the x-th time everything we now planned is new to me. I feel like I'm constantly reinventing our homeschooling methods and sometimes that's a bit overwhelming. Luckily I've learned to relax and not stress about it anymore (it used to really freak me out).

Belgian methods and programs are very, very different from American programs. That leaves me with tons of questions. We've bought Math Mammoth, but that's definitely way more than just 'math in English'. I hope I'll find some answers here. Unit studies are also totally new to me, so lots of questions there too.

I hope I can count on all of you to get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks in advance! In return, I hope I can help out some of you too with some tips and tricks I use.
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your daughter sounds very smart. Welcome to the forum!
TheAssistant
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so great that you're not stressing! Good luck with everything!

Here are a few unit study links--hope you find them useful. Smile

http://www.oklahomahomeschool.com/unitstudies.html

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/unit-studies/
Ann B
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define 'smart'. I guess she is kind of smart, but I also think that's the largest cause for all the problems we have with her...

Not stressing at all... but you might want to stay far away from us whenever the inspectors decide to visit us again... Very Happy I can predict a small earthquake...

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I'll probably launch one or more questions somewhere on the forum too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: