Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ohio Law Kindergarden Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3GiftsFromGod
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Ohio Law Kindergarden Question Reply with quote

Hi! I was wondering ... if my DD is currently 5 and will not turn 6 until January do I need to send a letter of intent this year for her kindergarden year or just wait until the first grade 6 turning 7 year?

I checked HSLDA Law pages for Ohio and Ohio Law states “between six and eighteen years of age.” so I am not sure what to do.

TIA!
Julie Very Happy
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There doesn't seem to be any info on when exactly the annual notification needs to be first sent, but I doubt you need to send anything before your DD turns 6. My advice would be to send it just after her 6th birthday (preferably certified mail).
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Ohio and from my understanding of things, you do not need to file a Notice of Intent until next year. You would only need to file this year if your child turned 6 before the start of the official PS school year.

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
3GiftsFromGod
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for commenting!
I was beginning to worry! Plus, school just started around here so I would have been late in sending the letter. Smile
Julie
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I'm in Ohio, and I believe it means that you send your letter for the school year in which she turns 6 by Sept. 30. Both of my daughters have birthdays in October, so they miss the cut-off date. I think I will wait to send letters of intent until I have to, which means that for my oldest, who will be 5 this Oct., I will send the letter of intent in the summer/fall of 2010 Very Happy They don't need to know any sooner than necessary. She'll be doing K work this fall, so possibly she'll be up to 2nd grade work by the time I notify them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: