Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MY LITTLE BOY HAS SPEECH IN SCHOOL ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wvrobin
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: MY LITTLE BOY HAS SPEECH IN SCHOOL ? Reply with quote

HELLO ,

MY LITTLE BOY IS IN THE 3RD GRADE IN PUBLIC SCHOOL. HE HAS BEEN IN SPEECH SINCE HEADSTART, IF I HOMESCHOOL HIM CAN HE STILL HAVE SPEECH THROUGH THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM? WE LIVE IN WV . THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO ME.

THANKS WV ROBIN

Last edited by wvrobin on Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act states: Reply with quote

According to the federal special education law, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (20 U.S.C.1400 et seq.), the board of education must ensure that "all children with disabilities residing in the State, including children with disabilities attending private schools, regardless of the severity of the disability, and who are in need of special education and related services, are identified, located and evaluated..." Some may view this as an invasion of privacy, and the states are still free to interpret what constitutes a private school and what doesn't, but from your viewpoint it's good news - there's a high likelihood that your son can still get special education help even if he's not enrolled in the public school system.

You will, however, still want to contact the board of education and find out whether West Virginia considers homeschools to be applicable under the terms of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. Get their answer in writing, and contact Home School Legal Defense Association if there's any trouble.
wvrobin
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: ABOUT MY LITTLE BOY'S SPEECH Reply with quote

THEODORE,

I HAD CALLED THE BOARD OF ED. THE OTHER DAY AND ASKED IF I HS MY LITTLE BOY IF HE WOULD BE ABLE TO CONTINUE WITH HIS SPEECH ED. THE LADY I TALKED TO SAID SHE WOULD HAVE TO CONTACT THE STATE DEPT. TO FIND OUT. SHE RETURNED MY CALL TODAY AND SAID THAT MY LITTLE BOY WOULD NOT BE ELLIGIBLE FOR SPEECH ED. IF HE WASN'T ENROLLED IN A WV PUBLIC SCHOOL.

I WENT TO THE HSLDA SITE TODAY AND WILL BE JOINING ASAP. I WILL THEN DO WHAT YOU SUGGESTED BEFORE WE ACTUALLY START HS, BY SENDING THE LETTER AND GETTING IT IN WRITING. I AM NOT YET SURE WHEN THAT WILL BE, BUT I FEEL LIKE JOINING THE HSLDA IS A GOOD PLACE TO START. I DON'T HAVE ANY BOOKS YET, BUT I AM LOOKING INTO THAT.I ALSO NOTICED ON THE HSLDA SITE IN KENTUCKY IN APRIL THEY ARE HAVING A FAMILY AND HOME EDUCATORS CONFERENCE. IT ISN'T TO FAR AWAY FROM US WE MAY LOOK INTO ATTENDING IT ALSO.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!
WV ROBIN,
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Good luck! Reply with quote

Sounds like you're doing the right things then. Good luck!
MNKristy
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a public school speech-language clinician. It is a federal law that all children, regardless of where they attend school, are eligible for special education services through your local school district. If your son is currently in speech and has a valid IEP (Individualized Educational Program), then he would be eligible to continue to receive services from your home school. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It is a federal law. In the district that I work now, there are several students that are homeschooled and receiving speech services.

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Is there a federal document that states homeschoolers are... Reply with quote

The problem is that the phrase attending private schools can be interpreted to mean just private schools, or anyone not attending public school. Everything I've read says that this leaves the issue rather fuzzy, with the end result being that the states are free to interpret it however they wish. Most provide special ed services to homeschoolers, and all should provide special ed services to homeschoolers, but that doesn't mean they all do. The law needs a wording change.

If I'm wrong on this issue, however, is there a federal document of some sort you can refer us to? Something that specifically states homeschoolers are applicable under this law, in every state? It would be extremely helpful, as this is a big problem for many homeschoolers.
MNKristy
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. After doing further research, I see that it is not mandated by federal law. It is if children are in public schools. But not private/homeschool situations. As Theodore said, that is up to the individual state. I have lived and worked as a speech clinician in 4 states over the past 20 years and have always been in districts that provided services to private school students. In fact, here in Minnesota in my current district, public school special education personnel provide services within the private schools. That is where I am placed this year in fact...I work exclusively 3 days per week in a private school (although I am employed by the public school system). I wrongly assumed that all states provided services to private students. It has been that way in Virginia, Illinois and Minnesota. Sorry and good luck with your situation!

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids
wvrobin
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: THANKS! Reply with quote

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE I REALLY APPRECIATE IT! AS I GO THRU WITH THIS PROCESS , I WILL POST TO UPDATE YOU ALL ON OUR SITUATION IN WV.

THANK YOU,
WV ROBIN

MOMMY OF NOAH 9 AND EMILEE 8 , WHO AS OF RIGHT NOW WILL BEGIN HS IN THE FALL WITH THE BEGINING OF A NEW SCHOOL YEAR.
kerlin
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is an old post, but I just found this forum and wanted to include my two cents worth.

My son is supposed to receive speech therapy, he has for 9 years. It is in his IEP and the school district we are in does not have a speech therapist. Even though I homeschool my children, the school is still responsible for providing special services. They even provide lunch for my son, because his appointment time is during lunch time.

If the school is unable to provide the services needed, then a private speech professional of your choice can be contracted through the school district, and the school district has to provide transportation to a private therapist, if you want them to anyway.

If your state doesnt recognize homeschool as a private school, maybe you could buy a LLC. Create your own Private School right there at home. I know in my state (Oklahoma) the LLC is only $100 the first year, and the price goes down after that. The price varies from state to state.
MeganWiles
User

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so important as a parent that you know the law and be proactive. In my state their are free programs provided by the state for children as young as 2 years of age. At 3 years they are serviced by the public school district even though they are too young to attend.
wvrobin
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELPFUL INFO!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

I AM HAPPY TO GET EVERYONES 2 CENTS WORTH . EVERY IDEA HELPS AND MAY COME IN HANDY, IT MAY EVEN BE THE WAY I END UP DOING THINGS. IT IS ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE OPTIONS AND A BACK UP PLAN.I HAVE SENT IN MY LETTER OF INTENT TO HS FOR THE 2006-2007 SCHOOL YEAR. IT IS GOING TO BE A BUSY SUMMER GETTING EVERYTHING READY FOR THE NEW SCHOOL YEAR. PRAY FOR ME AND I'LL LET YOU ALL KNOW OUR SPEECH ED OUTCOME!

THANK YOU !
Quantamama
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Speech Delayed son just finished 1st semester of Preschool Reply with quote

Oh, thank you for this post. I'd prefer to homeschool my son, but I'm not completely confident on how to handle Speech Therapy. I was concerned that I'd either have to pay for a private therapist or he'd just have to stay in school.

I'm going to do some research right now on Colorado's take on the subject and if I have to create my own private school, I'll do it!

He started preschool because he could get speech therapy through the school district. His language skills are getting better, but he’s still mostly unintelligible. In all the testing we went through, he was completely normal; hearing, vision, intellectual and emotional skills. No indications of autism type disorders, dyslexia, or anything else.

Welcome To Quantamama's World
Seeker
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: you can get free speech outside of public school Reply with quote

Hi I don't know where in WV you are, we are near Charleston. We fussed with the school system for over a year trying to get speech for our son, to no avail.
Then by the Grace of God we found out about the Scottish Rites Childhood Langauge Center.
My son has been there for 2 years, and they are wonderful. I cannot say enough good things about the center. Also, it is FREE for the families. It is paid for by the Scottish Rite masons, (like the Shriners have the orthopedic hospitals etc).
Like I said we attend in Charleston, but there are several in WV, in fact they are all over the country! Here are the listings for WV:

Lee O. Rockwell Scottish Rite Clinic for Childhood Language Disorders
Scottish Rite Temple
406 Capitol Street
Charleston, WV 25301-1717
Telephone: (304) 342-7852
or (888) 228-7852
Fax: (304) 342-8901

Morgantown Childhood Language Center
1000 Stewartstown Road
Morgantown, WV 26505-3696
Telephone: (304) 599-0304

Scottish Rite Clinic for Childhood Language Disorders
at Marshall University
400 Hal Greer Blvd.
Huntington, WV 25707
Telephone: (304) 696-3641

Scottish Rite Clinic for Childhood Language Disorders
Inquiries: A&A Scottish Rite
521 Lincoln Drive
Martinsburg, WV 25401-2429
Telephone: (304) 263-9532

Scottish Rite Clinic for Childhood Language Disorders (Planning Stage)
Cinderella Building
Williamson, WV 25661
Telephone: (304) 235-3577

also here is the link for any other interested parties to look up their state:
http://www.srmason-sj.org/web/cld-files/cldp.htm

The only bad news is that they have a waiting list, but being a homeschooler with a more flexible schedule might get you in pretty quick. We only waited 4 months.

hope this helps and keep us posted!
Angie
wonderful!
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Special Needs Homeschooling & Federal Law "IDEA&quo Reply with quote

My situation is nearly the same. On researching the issue of special needs support I came across IDEA at HSLDA site. I haven't throughly reviewed IDEA, but on general overview it is unequivocal that support services are a requirement under Federal Law for special needs - disabilities.

The confusion occurs when school staff and administrators are unfamiliar with all the resources available and educational regulations. Therefore, as usual, it is contingent upon the parent to educate officials in such matters.

HSLDA is an excellent organization to join.

Link to IDEA site:

http://www.nichcy.org/idea.htm

Link to IDEA regulation:

http://www.nichcy.org/reauth/IDEA2004regulations.pdf
gillenkl
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned today that after speaking with my State DOE - Delaware only provides therapy services to students enrolled in public or private schools) this doesn't include homeschoolers. I will be homeschooling my son in January and he will lose both his speech and occupational therapy services. Very disappointing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: