A Beka Math

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

azmomt
User

A Beka Math

Postby azmomt » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:00 am

I am new to home schooling and I am wondering about the abeka math program. Does anyone use it or know much about it. I looked it up on-line and it shows one example per grade level but doesn't explain their approach or is it good for the little ones grades K-5???

I am also looking into Singapore math and Math U see. Any experiences with that??? :|

Ramona
User

Re: A Beka Math

Postby Ramona » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:11 pm

I sometimes use A Beka math workbooks for enrichment but it is time-intensive for me. I don't like them as well because they don't go in the order I prefer. I like the School Zone workbooks that you can buy at Walmart. The order seems to make more sense than a lot of other workbooks I've seen. I go through the A Beka books and write down what page has things on to go with each page in the School Zone book. Then as we go through SZ I refer to my notes and have the kids do the related exercises from the A Beka book.

Ramona

wendi.t.momof4
User

Taught Abeka math

Postby wendi.t.momof4 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:02 am

:D Hi!
I taught all ABeka years ago at a private school. I liked everything they had except math because their math takes a long time to correct and their curriculum is expensive from what I remember. I think Ramona had a good suggestion. For me, this is my first year hs all four kids but I taught school mostly k-3rd grades. Anyway, for now we're using "Maximum Math" which is a design-a-study book from Kathryn Stout and I can use it for all my kids. I also like using cuisenare rods-which are great for the younger grades-and whatever home made manipulatives work. We use small white dry erase boards a lot, too. But I think I'm gonna try those Walmart books for my 6th grade girl who is a math whiz and surpasses me sometimes! But if you have younger kids-I taught kindergarten mostly-the more manipulatives the better. And the "maximum math" is very user friendly. Hope this is helpful :D
Wendi:-)
Jeremiah 29;11-13

ontheprairie
User

Postby ontheprairie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:49 pm

ontheprairie
User

Postby ontheprairie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:05 am

Thanks so much for your response Minnie. We decided that for now we are going to leave the lesson books and focus on memorizing the addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division tables plus learn the signs etc. If they are still unable to grasp it well than we will be moving them each down a grade in Math.

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:52 pm

I am not a fan of Abeka. I much prefer Saxon or Horizons

http://saxonhomeschool.harcourtachieve. ... school.htm

I would check them out and they also have placement tests so you can see what course they suggest.

I use Horizons Math for 1st-3rd and then switch to Saxon. Horizons is set up much like Saxon. It uses workbooks instead of a textbook.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:49 pm

If you buy used you can sometimes get all the books for around $25.00 you just have to look to find them that cheap. I recommend buying older editions. The info is the same and you can generally get them quite a bit cheaper.

lollipop
User

A beka math

Postby lollipop » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:39 pm

My son and daughter did Abeka math (son is in college and daughter a senior in high school) and they really learned math!! Used curriculum is half price. The math has a lot of problems but I found that the repetition was helpful for my daughter. My son could do less problems and understand the concept.

For students heading toward engineering in college I'd recommend Abeka math! --Trish

Almostdone
User

Postby Almostdone » Wed May 12, 2010 10:01 pm

We have always used abeka math and our kids test about 3 grades ahead of their actual grades and we finish the books every year. However this year (9th grade) we found they dont explain certain things real well so we are going to change brands. But 1-9 years were great books well worth the investment.

Miniver
User

Postby Miniver » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:31 pm

Our son loved the Abeka books because they have lots of colored illustrations, which made it more interesting for him (a visual learner). However, once we got into algebra and geometry, it was frustrating because they didn't show HOW to solve the problems. Even with the "teacher's manual," only the answers were shown...not how to GET the answers. We ended up buying DVD tutorials and supplementing with algebra/geometry textbooks I picked up at thriftstores for a couple of dollars. Now at 17 he is in an Early College High School program, and they provide the textbooks and graphing calculator (which he had no idea how to use!) for free. But back to Abeka -- I think their math books are GREAT for the younger children, and they make it almost fun to learn!

sgottlieb
User

Postby sgottlieb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:16 pm

I too think that Abeka is only good for k-9.

Return to “Math”