Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best reading curriculum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TandLMommy28
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Best reading curriculum? Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post here! I am not homeschooling YET but will be in the fall and I'm very focused on preparing for this coming adventure! My daughter is currently attending preschool at our church but will be home beginning with kindergarten. I am very excited, I have been dreaming about homeschooling my future kids since before I met my husband!

Here's my situation. I am a former employee of A Beka Book. The advertising department to be exact! So I am very pro-ABB. I think they have phenomenal history, phonics and math, especially in elementary school. I taught in a Christian school with their junior high material and wasn't quite as impressed.

Anyway, this past summer my daughter (just after her fourth birthday) asked me to teach her to read. Someone recommended "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons" so we got that used on Ebay and whipped right through it! My 4.5 year old is now a reading MACHINE.

I inherited all the ABB reading books for 1st through 3rd grade from a relative. My daughter is breezing through the first grade books already... and that's fine, I am sure we could just keep going. By fall when we start home school officially, she'll probably be on the 2nd grade books.

But I don't LOVE the ABB reading material. I love how they present phonics but the literature leaves much to be desired. I guess I am looking for curriculum based more on REAL books rather than stories written to fit a curriculum, if that makes sense.

Any recommendations? I have heard BJU press is somewhat better but haven't looked at it myself...
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like BJU when I looked at it. I use Abeka for the most part and simply add my own books to the curriculum. I love their curriculum (except for the high school math) but have found it lacking in the lit dept. In fact, once we got out of 1st grade I really didn't even use the readers anymore except for during class. My kids are required, in our schooling, to read the classics most of which are NOT in the Abeka curriculum and this year (for my highschooler) I have added classics that most PS school kids are no longer required to read. I kind of make it up as I go and make Abeka's curriculum fit our needs. It works for us.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your dd already knows how to read, I wouldn't bother with vocabulary-controlled basal readers at all. I'd make use of the library and provide her with good children's books. Here's a good list.

Also, Honey for a Child's Heart has lists of good books.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
josh_chs
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work for Alpha Omega Publications, so I may be a bit biased, but I found their Horizons Phonics to be an excellent program.
pecangrove
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the Ableside list? They have a large array of literature, and even a schedule of then to read which books. I am using it loosely this year, and will probably use it even more next year.
sartasd
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids have found the Christian light Education the best. We've tried other curriculums but didn't care for some parts of them, We started CLE last year and they are still loving the light units.

My dd as learned to read with CLE, She is on the last unit and is already reading chapter books while still in 1st grade!

My ds didn't use CLE, He used a phonics workbook and reading real books and it took him 2 years to learn to read while it has only taken dd 6 months!

Rod and Staff is similiar,

You can buy from them or go to Rainbow Resource, they have both CLE and Rod and Staff Reading levels CLE is K to 12 and Rod and Staff only goes to grade 8.
crusticrab
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can wait to give it a shot ASAP after I get I Flight Systems the pattern. Thank you for your punctuality on posting the tips which really help a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: