Writing Road to Reading

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

christie_jarrard
User

Writing Road to Reading

Postby christie_jarrard » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:40 pm

We are easing into homeschooling this year with my four year old with The Writing Road to Reading. I'm ordering the book today, but I was wondering if it is possible to make my own supplemental materials. I saw on Spalding's website that they have a teaching kit for K-3 for $189, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much. For those with experience, is the kit worth it? Is is possible to read the book and make my own cards, etc.?

I tried the search fxn but it doesn't appear to be working, sorry if this has been posted before.
Asher, 11.14.06
Jackson, 08.07.09
Piper, 03.17.11

elliemaejune
User

Re: Writing Road to Reading

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:05 pm

christie_jarrard wrote:We are easing into homeschooling this year with my four year old with The Writing Road to Reading. I'm ordering the book today, but I was wondering if it is possible to make my own supplemental materials. I saw on Spalding's website that they have a teaching kit for K-3 for $189, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much. For those with experience, is the kit worth it? Is is possible to read the book and make my own cards, etc.?

I tried the search fxn but it doesn't appear to be working, sorry if this has been posted before.

You don't need the kit to do Spalding with a 4yo. :-)

All you need is the manual (WRTR; the method is Spalding, the manual is WRTR) and the phonogram cards. I wouldn't even worry about the Spelling Assessment Manual until at least next year. And the phonogram cards are not that expensive; just buy them and call it a day. :-)

Before you start doing anything with your dc, you will want to read the manual from cover to cover several times. Everything you need to know is in there, but you have to read it. :-)
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”