Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

College Prep/Language Arts/Lifepac or Rod & Staff 4-yr p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plymrocker
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: College Prep/Language Arts/Lifepac or Rod & Staff 4-yr p Reply with quote

This is urgent now, and I am SO torn, on this one! I have been going back and forth for weeks, and can't make a decision I am SURE of. So I am hoping I will get some knowledgeable guidance here from any of you, for this BIG decision I need to make right away. I would so appreciate to helpful replies, experiences and college-prep experts, if there are any.

I've been working hard on laying out my daughter's 4 year high school plan. She begins high (home)school this year. I am very torn between these two courses for Language Arts:

ROD & STAFF:
9/ A Time To Heal
9/ Communicating Effectively Book 1
10/ Communicating Effectively Book 2
11/ Perspectives of Life
12/ Perspectives of Truth

OR

LIFEPAC[/u]:
Complete Sets
9-12

[u]Things you should know
:
* She has been 1 grade level ahead in Language Arts, so she actually is finishing Grade Level 9
* She has experience with both. Used LifePac & enjoyed, until this past year (grade level 9), when we switched to Rod & Staff > Communicating Effectively-Book 1. She has really struggled with the grammar. She liked LifePac better.
**She is definitely college bound. Her strong interests lie in politics. She dreams of getting into Harvard AND Princeton. We need a rigorous college prep plan. She has long-term life goals, but she is 14. But she is passionate and serious about her plans/politics/American History.

Why I am torn:
* She did DO better with Lifepac...
* .....but, with Rod & Staff, she can stay at the grade level ahead (starting 10th), because she wants to finish LA early, and focus on Journalism her 12th year.
* I want to be sure LifePac is really college-prepatory, considering her field of interest.
*A friend who is a teacher, says we should try to not do much Christian based LA (like Rod & Staff), because colleges prefer traditional courses when reviewing transcripts.

I would LOVE your insight!! I hope to hear from anyone soon!
~Laura
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try calling Lee Binz of thehomescholar.com. She offers free 10 minute phone consultations every Wednesday afternoon. She is definitely a college-prep expert and she might have an opinion about whether Rod and Staff or Lifepac would be better. Here is the link with the hours you can call.

http://www.thehomescholar.com/free-homeschool-consulting.php
Plymrocker
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I missed that by a day, at the time. BUT.....my daughter finally did say a few things that made the choice clearer. She misses the style of LifePac, and thinks she really followed it all a lot easier. Rod & Staff really does word things very oddly. Even their sentences for grammar are a little unusual. So, we're going back to LifePac, and we feel good about the choice now.

Thanks for your suggestion. : )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: