Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Senior year homeschool, too late?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BParadis
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Senior year homeschool, too late? Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I just want to tahnk you all in advance for your help as this forum has already helped me very much.
To give you some background information I am going into my senior year of highschool. I am 1 credit short of high school graduation as I'm missing half a credit of economics and half a credit of history i believe. I started off my highschool experience at a very traditional private catholic high school. Halfway through my junior year I transferred to a local public school with very bad ratings but I fully dual-enrolled and never had to actually take any classes there. I have since become innelidgable for dual-enrollment and would much rather become home-schooled and pay for dual-enrollment classes myself than deal with the administration at this point.
My questions are:
1) I know it said I had 30 days to mail the superintendant, is that before I start the homeschool program, is it too late?
2) Are there any ways I can get a high school diploma or will I have to get my ged?
3) I am not familiar at all with GED requirements but is it something I should get right now or should I continue with dual-enrollment classes as a homeschooler.(I jsut checked the florida department of education site and it says I need an age-waiver since I'm 17, does anyone know if these are hard to get?)

My parents are behind me on this as they were appauled at me taking classes at the public school im currently enrolled at. I don't mean to sound immodest but I am quite bright and although they would be all AP courses I don't work well in such a structured environment.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated,
Brendan Paradis
________
LIST OF PENNY STOCKS

Last edited by BParadis on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
BParadis
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to add another question aswell.
There are alot of online highschools etc. Do they offer diplomas? Are most actually accredited or is it some sore of sham?
Thank you in advance,
Brendan Paradis

EDIT: this time I found the edit button!
is a GED or a diploma actually required? if I studied my remaining credit until december could my parents just sign an affidavit saying I competed homeschooling?
I have most of my associates gegree completed through dual-enrollment and clep exams and ultimately my goal is to get it by the end of this year so I can transfer as a college junior at the start of next year.
Sorry for my very unformulated thoughts =)
________
New Zealand

Last edited by BParadis on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
BarbaraH
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot answer many of your questions, but I do know that if you wait until your 18th birthday to take the GED it is super easy. That is what I did and then I was able to take courses at the community college very easily. I never studied for the test and was able to pass it with no trouble and passed the entrance tests to college, not bad for a 10th grade drop out, so with your strong academics you should have absolutely no trouble.

I know that many of the umbrella schools for home schooling offer diplomas and are accredited. I do not know if they will take someone in who is so close to graduating.

Have you checked into the Florida Virtual school system? Perhaps you can finish up your credits that way, and still qualify for a regular High School diploma?

www.flvs.net

It is completely free.
BParadis
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I'll be sure to check that out. Waiting till I'm 18 isn't a problem. Are geds and diplomas looked the same on?
________
Lolol

Last edited by BParadis on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
BarbaraH
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BParadis wrote:
thanks I'll be sure to check that out. Waiting till I'm 18 isn't a problem. Are geds and diplomas looked the same on?

In most cases, yes. I know it works for college and military, but I am not sure what the drawbacks are. It was all that I needed for what my plans were.
BParadis
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! =)
Anybody have anything else to add?
________
Alaska dispensary

Last edited by BParadis on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
BParadis
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a little update. I sent my letter of intent to my superintendent. All I needed to sign up for my dual enrollment courses was my letter of intent along a new application for the school. I was surprised to find out that they exempt all the class fees for homeschooled students as well =). The only thing I have to pay for are books. What exactly is the next step from here?
________
KTM RC8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: