Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At Home Therapy Ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodes Family
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: At Home Therapy Ideas Reply with quote

Next month we will be starting something that is becoming popular with homeschoolers. It's Sue Patrick's workbox system. I just finished reading the E-book and I've also seen lots of blogs where other homeschoolers have pictures of how theirs is set up. One of the things I want to put on my son's schedule is some things he can do at home like he did when he was getting occupational therapy. I need help with some ideas if anyone has any. Here's why...

My Aspie son (who also has ADHD) is in 4th grade and will be 10 years old in October. I'm trying to think of some age appropriate things to work with him on for sensory, gross and fine motor skills. I also want to build up a fidgit basket for him to use when we have breaks in between lessons.

If anyone has a list of some age appropriate ideas I would really appreciate it.
tonygirl
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: At Home Therapy Ideas Reply with quote

Rhodes Family wrote:
Next month we will be starting something that is becoming popular with homeschoolers. It's Sue Patrick's workbox system. I just finished reading the E-book and I've also seen lots of blogs where other homeschoolers have pictures of how theirs is set up. One of the things I want to put on my son's schedule is some things he can do at home like he did when he was getting occupational therapy. I need help with some ideas if anyone has any. Here's why...

My Aspie son (who also has ADHD) is in 4th grade and will be 10 years old in October. I'm trying to think of some age appropriate things to work with him on for sensory, gross and fine motor skills. I also want to build up a fidgit basket for him to use when we have breaks in between lessons.

If anyone has a list of some age appropriate ideas I would really appreciate it.

I have a bunch but I don't have alot of time right now?
I have a few questions for you is his OT also for sensory issues?
Here are 2 things that fly off the top of my head

Bodyblade works on core muscles and coordination skills
Crazy ball which also works on motor skills and coordination.
Rhodes Family
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: At Home Therapy Ideas Reply with quote

tonygirl wrote:

Yes it's sensory also.
tonygirl
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: At Home Therapy Ideas Reply with quote

Rhodes Family wrote:
tonygirl wrote:

Yes it's sensory also.

squishy balls work well I have chewers so brainpower chews really help with that as well as organizing for concentration.

Weighted blankets and lap pads have been really good here.

We have put in a eye-hook in our basement so we can hang some of the swings they use to use at OT.

my older one builds with legos during a lecture type class.

sit discs help with grounding them and seattling them down.

if you don't have babies in the house running around they have these magnetic oval rocks that you can fiddle with in your hand they make like a clapping sound I can not remember the name though.

Music we did the theraputic listening program when he was in OT classical and non word type music can be real calming.

How much flat surface you have at home but the roller racer that helps with gross motor, coordination, and motor planning.

Fine Motor
games - perfection- operation a little hand held eight with a ball in it you have to move around the # 8 I can't remember the name.

building with little legos gears

That is somethings I have lots more ideas for things let me know if I can help
God Bless Teresa
Rhodes Family
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: At Home Therapy Ideas Reply with quote

tonygirl wrote:

squishy balls work well I have chewers so brainpower chews really help with that as well as organizing for concentration.

Weighted blankets and lap pads have been really good here.

We have put in a eye-hook in our basement so we can hang some of the swings they use to use at OT.

my older one builds with legos during a lecture type class.

sit discs help with grounding them and seattling them down.

if you don't have babies in the house running around they have these magnetic oval rocks that you can fiddle with in your hand they make like a clapping sound I can not remember the name though.

Music we did the theraputic listening program when he was in OT classical and non word type music can be real calming.

How much flat surface you have at home but the roller racer that helps with gross motor, coordination, and motor planning.

Fine Motor
games - perfection- operation a little hand held eight with a ball in it you have to move around the # 8 I can't remember the name.

building with little legos gears

That is somethings I have lots more ideas for things let me know if I can help
God Bless Teresa

These are good. Very Happy Feel free to share more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: