Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi! Brand new to homeschooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pamella
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Hi! Brand new to homeschooling Reply with quote

My name is Pamella and I live in Beckley, West Virginia, which is about 50 miles from our state capitol of Charleston. I have two lovely daughters: Lora is nearly 12 and Kristen is nearly 10. Both girls have been enrolled in a local Christian school since kindergarten and both have done well academically. Both girls are attention deficit; Lora also suffers from depression and has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome (a form of autism affecting social interation). During the current school year both girls have begun to have more and more trouble with and at school. Our so-called Christian school refuses to do anything about bullying and it's really taken a toll on the girls, especially Lora. I simply refuse to subject my daughters to any further social and emotional harm. So I am seriously considering homeschoooling in the fall -- that is if I can convince my husband. He seems to think I'll "go off the deep end" if I spend the entire day with the girls. I think the risk is worth it. Let me hear from some of you about your experiences in start-up.
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pamella,

We're considering homeschooling in the fall as well for some of the same reasons. Our 6 year old is small for his age and has really struggled to keep up with the older and bigger children in his class academically and socially. He will be 7 in August and is wearing size 5 and some size 6 clothing. I used to be a homebound instructor in the place we used to live and worked with some children with Aspergers. I guess my best advice would be to find all the resources you can and look at them together with your husband and then decide what would be the best for your children. Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: