anyone give up tv?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

oneofthegirls
User

t.v. usage slowing

Postby oneofthegirls » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:29 am

It is amazing how well you can live and survive without tv, lol. Over the past few weeks I've been limiting myself on the amount of tv I watch, and have found that I really was spending too much of my time on it, and not enough bonding time with my girls.
What's even more funny is that my girls nor my husband has turned on the tv themselves very little ,and not noticed that it's not been on..they just read- play a game, etc. I have been facinated with this, thinking they'd freak out initially.
Also- it is nice and quiet- and I can hear myself think; I am finding out- that the tv blarring (and no one watching) set a chaotic tone for our household.
My husband had mentioned shutting off the direct t.v. months ago- and I was upset, but I think now I see that we really don't need it. The few shows we watch and are faithful to are on major networks and we can catch those on internet or local stations. Selective shows every now are the best way to go. We also have an extensive dvd collection and so we can pool from those and watch them together for 'movie night'.
End result; you have more family time, peace and quiet, and get more things done - and no vulgar, shocking commercial ads either (they are getting as bad as the shows are these days).
thanks for this post, it is encouraging.
“When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.â€

Reepicheep
User

Postby Reepicheep » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:43 pm

use tv for dvds, don't watch tv, though

it's the worldview,...
Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter East.

mommyto2gr8ones
User

Postby mommyto2gr8ones » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:19 am

I have considered many times giving up our t.v. but my dh would never allow that!! LOL He loves his learning channels too much. I get into movies so I would miss it some but the reality is I don't watch but maybe a few hours a week. I could easily cut that out. I wished I could convince my dh b/c I feel that we depend on it too much. You are a rare breed of man, I commend you for what you are doing!!
Crystal~wife to Robert~2/11/01
Mom to Joshua~7/19/00
Lillian~7/1/06
And Furbaby CopyCat~7/03
"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me"~Phillipians 4:13

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”