Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone give up tv?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oneofthegirls
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: t.v. usage slowing Reply with quote

It is amazing how well you can live and survive without tv, lol. Over the past few weeks I've been limiting myself on the amount of tv I watch, and have found that I really was spending too much of my time on it, and not enough bonding time with my girls.
What's even more funny is that my girls nor my husband has turned on the tv themselves very little ,and not noticed that it's not been on..they just read- play a game, etc. I have been facinated with this, thinking they'd freak out initially.
Also- it is nice and quiet- and I can hear myself think; I am finding out- that the tv blarring (and no one watching) set a chaotic tone for our household.
My husband had mentioned shutting off the direct t.v. months ago- and I was upset, but I think now I see that we really don't need it. The few shows we watch and are faithful to are on major networks and we can catch those on internet or local stations. Selective shows every now are the best way to go. We also have an extensive dvd collection and so we can pool from those and watch them together for 'movie night'.
End result; you have more family time, peace and quiet, and get more things done - and no vulgar, shocking commercial ads either (they are getting as bad as the shows are these days).
thanks for this post, it is encouraging.
Reepicheep
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use tv for dvds, don't watch tv, though

it's the worldview,...
To find all you seek,
There is the utter East.
mommyto2gr8ones
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered many times giving up our t.v. but my dh would never allow that!! LOL He loves his learning channels too much. I get into movies so I would miss it some but the reality is I don't watch but maybe a few hours a week. I could easily cut that out. I wished I could convince my dh b/c I feel that we depend on it too much. You are a rare breed of man, I commend you for what you are doing!!
And Furbaby CopyCat~7/03
"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me"~Phillipians 4:13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: