What to do with 4yo who knows the concepts but can't write?

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

Carol929
User

What to do with 4yo who knows the concepts but can't write?

Postby Carol929 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:05 pm

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:43 pm

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:17 pm

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:20 am

Hi Carol, in addition to using magnets or letting her answer orally, you can also give her stickers with the numbers written on them, and let her put the correct number sticker in the place for the answer. By playing with stickers, she is improving the fine motor skills that she needs for writing.

Another idea is to give her number stamps and let her use those to answer. Separate the study of math from the practice of writing. I wouldn't press her to write at this point if she's not interested.

Children develop the fine motor skills needed for writing at different ages, and it only causes frustration to press them to move more quickly than their ready for. Find fun ways to strengthen her fine motor skills - let her cut with scissors, play with playdoh, color with crayons, help you scoop and stir in the kitchen. Here are some other ideas for fine motor activities:

Preschool Writing Activity

Kumon sells Tracing and Mazes workbooks that are a great way to practice pencil control without doing formal handwriting lessons. The pages are colorful and fun, and both of my children enjoyed them. You can find them at most book stores.

Carletta

Return to “Math”