Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online Homeschooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lily
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No direct experience, no. It's a public school at home, so while it is "free" you adhere to the PS standards of your state.
jennm2203
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though not a school per-say we use Time4Learning for our daughter now.

It offers not only a pretty extensive online curriculum but also includes many printables for supplementing the online portion and help in areas where a child may struggle and need active learning.

They offer language arts, science, math and social studies. There is a writing program as well... which is like a word processor of sorts. They handle the grading of the child’s work and then you can view and print the reports for your portfolio or file. You have them work at their own pace, independently or side by side with a parent if need be.

There are many options as far as where to begin and go once in the program, our daughter does everything in order but with the math she likes to skip around a bit. Also our daughter has difficulty in math so she is on a 4th grade level in math but on 5th grade level in everything else. T4L gives you that freedom.

We like it because we do not have to worry about buying new books and work books every time she changes levels or areas of interest. But also the areas of study are easily found at the library and in other curriculums so you could mix and math everything. It is very cohesive with other curricula.

They have the full curriculum, but you can also use it for supplementing where your child struggles, or for after school or as a tutoring program. They also have a kids area called the play ground as well as a great parent forum. The price is super affordable as well… no contracts or any of that to worry about.

Just an idea to throw out there, we use it and are very satisfied. You can do a google search and it will readily pull up.
Nicole333
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: childish Reply with quote

Of course I found this thread in search of information and opinions on the online public schools. However what I found was rude accusations being thrown at other homeschool parents. Just sad : ( There is no place adults can come together and discuss interests and ask questions without someone coming in with harsh judgements.
yesclass
User

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Read Our Letter to Parents Reply with quote

Well, I wrote a letter to parents today and would like to share it so that others can critique my belief in my online education system.

Please leave a comment if you have a blogger (google) account.

http://welcomeyesclass.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-letter-to-parents.html
PeterSinko
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I personally think is if your child is having an problem with maths or even suffering from math phobia, best option for your child is get them an home math tutor it would really help them out.
hannahsmith
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this isn't too late but the best way to conquer math phobia is to make math appear "cool". Often, it looks so dull and imposing that kids naturally are turned off by it. Try supplementing your child's curriculum with worksheets - there are so many out there with favourite Disney, DreamWorks, Pixar Characters. The other thing you can do is introduce him to http://www.mathblaster.com . I recommend this because it has worked with my children and those I tutor. Of course, my advice to you would be to look for games YOU think are appropriate for your child since you know him best. Play it, review it. I'm sure your son will grow to love Math in no time.
Alicelewis11
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah wrote:
hi everybody,

My name is Sarah and I have 2 daughters (ages 5 and 7)

I was struggling to find resources and activities to keep them interested and make it fun. I was searching for ideas and resources the other day and came across this site www.primaryleapfrog.com
I decided to become a member and am very glad I did. They have some super sheets on maths, english and science and are adding 10 more subjects soon apparently. I was impressed with the online graph that they have because I can now keep track on my kids progress and see which areas they need extra help. As I am teaching them myself I found this very helpful. Math Practice Worksheets

I hope this is helpful to other homeschooling parents Very Happy

I think Online education and homework help is most likely something to think about. My sister self-teaches her two young men and never truly felt like she was equipped to offer to the extent that she ought to in the math office. She researched it and gained a mentor through such an asset as tutorfi.com, in spite of the fact that there are a lot of people out there. Her young men are currently equipped to get their math lessons through their online coach and their evaluations and general understanding of the subject has seen uncommon changes. This system offers white board, document offering, 2-way voice correspondence and a great deal of incredible guides to browse. Furthermore I truly feel like it has the ability to help free up some time to focus on employment #1- using anxiety free, quality time with your kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: